Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rules of good behaviour getting forgot in the ETO chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you agree with ElectroMaster's directive, please follow it.

By harsh language, do you mean obscene/bad language, if so, have you made any formal complaint by PM to Admin or a Moderator in the past few days.???

When was I not following it? If I see something in chat that I feel is inappropriate, I still mention it to a moderator. I just also do what I can to keep it from happening again right away.

Yes, I mean obscene/bad language. I haven't made a formal complaint within the past few days, because I haven't seen anything within the past few days. If someone uses profane or rude language continuously, I will mention it to the next moderator who comes on, or send a PM. Generally if it's a newbie, I let them know that profane language in the chat is against the rules, in case they don't know. If they keep using it, then I report it. Simple as that. Is there something wrong with asking a member to please watch his/her language? I'm curious as to EM's opinion of this....

I believe Derstrom was giving fact/opinion on past or past/hypothetical situations, not something that can be necessarily proven with the history of the last few days...

Edit, slow to post I was making a cuppa :)

Last edited:
I believe Derstrom was giving fact/opinion on past or past/hypothetical situations, not something that can be necessarily proven with the history of the last few days...

You're absolutely right about that :)

I have tried chat on many Forums.

Some Forums have great "chat'" folks. Others don't.....
I don't know anymore...

Me personally....I stay away from Chat. With exception of course to people or sites with expert advise.

ETO is one. I still stay away from Chat though..

I would rather post for all for the world to see than rather hide behind stuff. Just me :eek:

tv tech

Edit, slow to post I was making a cuppa :)

hi RTD,

I would say hypothetical/opinion covers it pretty well.:rolleyes:

Enjoy your cuppa.;)

E.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right about that :)

So as you did not answer my question, would I be correct in assuming that there have been no cases of serious misbehaviour on the Chat rooms for some time.???

So as you did not answer my question, would I be correct in assuming that there have been no cases of serious misbehaviour on the Chat rooms for some time.???

I believe I did answer your question. No, I haven't reported anything for some time because I haven't seen anything for some time. However, there were times in the not-so-distant past that I had to report someone to the next moderator who came on, which was often 3v0. He may remember some of the users I reported for certain offenses.

It is not entirely hypothetical--it HAS happened in the past, and I HAVE reported it to a moderator. However, I have also asked the member to be more polite and considerate in the meantime.

There will always be a new guy in chat who has not gotten the message that we require people to be polite. That along with the occasional drunk or the guy who is down and out looking to take it out on the people in chat.

Non moderator members have the tools required to deal with this. Report and then IGNORE them.

There will always be a new guy in chat who has not gotten the message that we require people to be polite. That along with the occasional drunk or the guy who is down and out looking to take it out on the people in chat.

Non moderator members have the tools required to deal with this. Report and then IGNORE them.

So should I not warn them of the rules before I report them? I do remember just recently (I think within the last week or so) a new member coming in and starting right off with profane language. I asked him politely to please read the chat rules, so he knows what is acceptable and what isn't, which he did. No problems after that. The way I see it, if a member can refer a newbie to the rules and it solves the problem without getting mods or admins involved, wouldn't that be best? Let me know if I'm wrong about this, and I will change my ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back