Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rotary Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I want to get a rotary tool like a Dremel. I've read bad reviews on Amazon though about the new Dremel 400 compared to the old Multi-pro with regards to overheating, flimsiness (sp?), and other durability/quality issues.

Anyways, so I started looking harder and I've heard mentions that brand-name "knock-off" rotary tools like Ryobi and whatnot are cheaper and better than the Dremel. Has anyone had experience?

I'm considering this one right now:
**broken link removed**

I only need cutting bits and cutting wheels, and a flex attachment and maybe a hanger. I don't need any of the fancy saw cutouts or whatever. A support thing so that I can use a cutting bit level to a plane would be useful too. That means I don't need all the fancy things you can only get with a Dremel.

Also, can you swap bits and wheels between different tools? Dremel seems to have more supplies where I am. I don't see any immediate reason why it's not possible.

Last edited:
I bought a Jobmate (Canadian Tire) rotary tool for $12 a few months back. Worked great until I accidentally pressed the chuck lock while the drill was under power - the cheap plastic lock ground down in no time, so now I just use that rotary tool for cut-offs, since the cut-off collett is what was stuck in it at the time. As long as you don't do what I did, I'd recommend it considering the amount of tool/$ you get. However...

The local Liquidation World (they probably have locations out your way) had two rotary tools for sale. One was a Black & Decker for about $25, the other was called a Tool Shop. I've never heard of Tool Shop before, but it was only $16 and it came with a hanger and a flex attachment, which has been extremely handy. To answer your question, yes, Dremel brand bits etc. are interchangeable with tools of other brand names*. For that reason alone, buying either a Jobmate or a Tool Shop tool is a wise investment, because each comes with about 30 or 40 assorted tools. The Jobmate cut-offs are a bit weak, but four or five of them were enough to cut through 1/4" steel tow-hitch clips on my car (a total length of about 6"). When you work that out to $0.40 to get the job done, it's a good deal.

The other bits that came with the Jobmate and the Tool Shop are outstanding, and although I can't say from experience because I've never used Dremel bits, I'd say at least close to being on par. Suffice to say that I'm very, very happy with the value of the Tool Shop, and if I need more cut-off or grinding bits, I might even buy another Jobmate, since $12 is almost as much as a pack of Dremel brand cut-offs alone will cost you.

*I should mention that I don't know how compatible the Dremel drill-press attachment is with other brand tools. I've wondered that myself a few times, but if not, I think I might make my own sort of press for the Toll Shop flex attachment.

Last edited:
The reason I was looking at the Ryobi one is because it comes with the hanger thing and at least 1/3 less than a comparable Dremel kit. I was looking at the bits and the Ryobi can accept 1/8" standard (and a few others). Most of the dremel bits seem to be 1/8" and it looks like they're both round...a 1/8" round shaft is the same regardless of where it is in the universe and regardless who made it right?

An article I Googled said that most (but not all) rotary tools can use Dremel bits. It'd be kind of neat if the Dremel EZ lock works with other rotary tools. I only care about the cut-off wheels (availability though I've never looked for other brands of them) and mainly the cutting drill-bit which Ryobi does not have or supply.

I have a jobmate drill press right now. Cost me $50. From it, I learned why a mill is a mill and a drillpress is a drillpress- I destroyed the bearings by using it as a mill to cut out screws and other things. Still works. It's just a lot noisier than it should be.

Last edited:
That's a tight karmatic circle, because I've been eyeballing that Jobmate drill press. I think I might get one, as soon as I can build a workbench in the garage. Recently Home Depot had a sale on a set of 215 Ryobi assorted drill bits for $40. I've been extremely satisfied with those, if that's any testament to the Ryobi brand, and the people I've talked to about Ryobi seem happy with what they've got. Their rotary tool sounds like a good deal to me. BTW, I don't think the shanks for rotary tool bits get any larger than 1/8", so that's fine. I think they're as standard nowadays as 3/8" chucks on a hand drill, and you just get a smaller collett for rotary tool bits that are smaller than a 1/8" shank.

I would have to say spend the extra money and get the 10" Mastercraft Drill press. Just because the tray has a rotary crank since the Jobmate has a friction-held, screw-tightened collar-clamp for the tray and it gets really annoying (not to mention it really hurts your fingers to tighten it. I think it's like $20-$50 more depending on whether it's on sale or not.

I was looking at the JObmate one that comes with a stand and flex, and it costs $50 ($10 more than the Ryobi and comes with a lot less). Problem is (at least online) Home Depot doesn't have that Rotary tool kit (the person whose lead I am following when they suggested a Ryobi also said he couldn't find them where he lived anymore, just overseas.) I'll just go across the street when I'm off work and check in person.

I haven't seen a Ryobi rotary tool in the Home Depot here either, so good luck to you. Thanks for the tip about the drill press, I'm definitely going to consider the Mastercraft now. Now here's the question when it comes to drill presses: what the heck does the 10", or whatever magnitude it may be, refer to? Clearly it doesn't refer to the distance the chuck can move, and for the life of me no one has ever been able to give me an answer on that!

Hank Fletcher said:
I haven't seen a Ryobi rotary tool in the Home Depot here either, so good luck to you. Thanks for the tip about the drill press, I'm definitely going to consider the Mastercraft now. Now here's the question when it comes to drill presses: what the heck does the 10", or whatever magnitude it may be, refer to? Clearly it doesn't refer to the distance the chuck can move, and for the life of me no one has ever been able to give me an answer on that!

It's the size of the tray which tends to be related to the size of the drill press.

This one might have just beat out the RYobi...mainly because it's soo close and easy to get.

**broken link removed**

The RYobi is supposed to have a digital RPM readout...except it gets reset everytime you turn it off and you have to change the speed again every time you turn it on. APparently that gets really annoying. I only used a Dremel for an hour at work, but I Must have turned it on and off about 30 times.

In all of the powertool/woodworking magazines the name Ryobi is synonomous with low end stuff. Ryobi produces tools to fit a certain niche market. Dremel tools are much better, maybe not the best but they are time tested and stand behind their product. I have three Dremel rotary tools in various models... all of them performing faithfully without fault. Can't ask for much more than that. Ryobi is always featured in tool stores for those who are shopping with budget in mind first, before quality, performance, and longevity.

I ended up getting a Mastercraft one. Longevity is not too big for me on tools involved in the "mechanical" aspect of building robots anyways. They always get mucked up and destroyed. Remember what I said about my drill press?

I don't question the old Dremels. I question the new ones. I only need to cut away at things every now and then anyways.

Robot builder 101 said:
I want to get the microlux drilling/milling machine from www.micromark.com. Cost 500 dollars only! Super high quality.

On the home brew CNC sites, it is stated that the Microlux, Harbor Freight, and several others are identical. It is just the prices that vary. The HF units go on sale frequently at good prices.

I got the micro HF mill/drill version for less than $150 and am surprisingly satisfied with it. To be honest, though, mine is the combination of the best parts from two units. The sheet metal for the head had defects at the welds. The local HF store had a unit that had been returned for another reason, but had a nice head. They let me take the best of both. From that experience, I can tell you there is quite a bit of variation in the machining tolerances for important stuff, like the ways and tables. You may need to play with the gibbs a bit -- straightening, etc. -- to get a nice feel. I have used it to mill crankcases from conversion "weedeater" engines and it works fine. John

The powertool forums are chocked full of similar comments about Harbor Freight tools. Basically most of their power tools are gems in the rough. That is, with some ingenuity, elbow grease, and some upgraded parts, they can compete with the best of their counterparts. Their powered handtools are pretty cheezy and pale in comparison to even the lowest Craftsman models.... and that ain't sayin' much! I do agree with the comment on their tools having varying tolerances from one model to the next. I guess quality control isn't an industry buzzword in China... for the most part.

The present model Dremel Tool I recommend is this one: Variable Speed MultiPro Rotary Tool and can be seen here: https://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool-detail.htm?H=188091&G=66981&I=69724
The motor brushes are replaceable, of which I doubt the Ryobi model offers.

Last edited:
HiTech said:
Basically most of their power tools are gems in the rough. That is, with some ingenuity, elbow grease, and some upgraded parts, they can compete with the best of their counterparts.
The point I would emphasize is that there is not a lot of difference between different brands of essentially the same import tool from China. Unfortunately, I am away from my home this week and can't give the exact citation; however, one of the power tool groups did a comparison of the various 7 by XX lathes. All of the lathes were made on the same assembly line and were vritually the same regardless of whether the brand was MicroMark, Grizzly, HF, or other. The comparison found no differences in quality to justify the price differences.

One thing to consider is the ease of return and support. HF is extremely easy to return items to, if you have a local outlet. Customer support for parts is effectively non-existent, but you do get a replacement tool -- just another box from China --, and you may be luckier the second (or third) time. Returning an item to MicroMark is a bit more difficult and expensive, if you have to ship.

On the other hand, MicroMark carries some brands, such as Proxxon, that are not necessarily made in China and are a true cut above the Chinese imports. MicroMark re-brands many of the Proxxon tools it sells, but Proxxon is now also available directly from dealers in the US. So far, I have had good luck with Proxxon's service for parts. I would certanly consider the Proxxon rotary grinder. John

I think you'll find that Delta powertools produced in China are built to a totally different spec. They differ quite a bit from other Chaiwian tools, however they too suffer some quality control issues when compared to older Delta models produced in the US and South America. Many of today's consumer-grade powertools are produced by OWT, One World Tool based in China. China is known for poor castings be it engines or tools. They do produce higher end products but I think it's more typically towards their own infrastructure for the most part, such asa their navy, etc. You don't see high-grade export products from China unless it's PC hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back