Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Robot Chassis (refresh to update)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should look into Halls instead of optical interrupters (I was planning on using them for a different 'bot)

This is what my tank bot has to traverse:
**broken link removed**

The hill is pretty steep, and a little less than two feet high if I remember correctly.

Wheels just aren't cutting it. ;)

theinfamousbob said:
I should look into Halls instead of optical interrupters (I was planning on using them for a different 'bot)

This is what my tank bot has to traverse:
**broken link removed**

The hill is pretty steep, and a little less than two feet high if I remember correctly.

Wheels just aren't cutting it. ;)

What about two twin gearboxes for 4 wheel drive. A swivel in the middle would keep the wheels on the ground.

William At MyBlueRoom said:
What about two twin gearboxes for 4 wheel drive. A swivel in the middle would keep the wheels on the ground.

Interesting idea...I'll have to give it a try if I can convince my instructor to order another (he really has a distaste for them... :D )

(Ok, I'm done being off topic now...teehee)

The frame looks great...if I had money (read: poor teenager who's looking at tens of thousands of money going out for college/university next year...) I'd grab one...it's always nice to have a 'bot around to do quick-n-dirty prototype work.

I'd use a mechanical holder for the breadboard and a connector from the breadboard via a standard IDC cable to the robot itself, that way you can disconnect the breadboard from the robot and move it to a test bench. Moving the entire robot is likley to become iritating, if not space constraining. Espcically considering when you're testing the control I/O you don't want an accidental chance a robot is going to take off across your desk and yank your programming connections out.

What sort of mechanical holder for the breadboard? Can you give me an example on google images?

the motors and battery connector will be molex (small) and there will be a power switch on the top deck. I use standoffs and a small board when testing. It's a really small robot less than 6" long. (Or you can just pull off the wheels ;)

Last edited:
Any kind of mechanical holder. Perhaps a wingnut style screw in the center of the board to mount it, so that it can be easily removed by hand.

from where did you get those 2 front "wheels"? those look neat.

PS your homepage link aint working

sry then i meant the 2 back "wheels" those ball's under the bot.

oh cool nice invention... if only i could buy some locally ;) or if only i would need a 1cm ball... i need 15cm rubber off road tires! ;)

i wouldn't suggest using a PCB as a chassy. the vibrations WILL kill the electronics on it. use some plywood or aluminum instead. easier to cut, stronger and looks nicer ;).

well depends on the stability of the bot... if the weight is center then 1 is good, if not then 2 is better. as i have never used those little buggers i have no experience with them... you know this only by building a prototype. first with one and if its wobbly and unstable, screw in 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back