Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[review] optotriac

Status
Not open for further replies.

michal_w

Hello colleagues,
I need to make a circuit to turn on a load resistor and then turn off ( I have to measure voltage with and witout load).
I've attached my scheme which I want to use. The load resistor is R2. I want to connect R1 with microcontroller.
Is it correct?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 207
Hi,

Im not sure if those opto's you are talking about using here are made for continuous load handling like that. Some of them are made just for firing a regular triac. You might want to double check the specs.

So, what should I use? I want to turn on and turn off the load resistor when I want, not when it cross zero (like using thyrisotrs or triacs).

Hi again,

What kind of load are you trying to drive, it is just a resistor? What value?

The MOC3020 can only switch 100mA max. so the maximum V1 supply voltage you could use with a 100 ohm resistor would be 10V. If you want to switch more current than that you can go with a larger DC output solid-state relay.

Edit: The MOC3020 also has a triac output so it will switch at the zero crossing. If you want it to switch otherwise you will need a DC output solid-state relay.

Last edited:
Only resistor 100 Ohm - 1 kOhm.

Hi again,

Is your source voltage really AC or could you use DC, and what level is it (volts)?

I have to measure the output voltage of a transformer with and without load resistance.
Voltage range is 10-15 V.

Hello,
thanks for your replies.
If I will use solid state relay is it possible to switch off the load resistor in any moment of the time (like in attached picture) ?

Attachments

• resistor.JPG
    resistor.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 192
Hello,
thanks for your replies.
If I will use solid state relay is it possible to switch off the load resistor in any moment of the time (like in attached picture) ?
As I stated in my previous post, you need to use a DC output type solid-state relay.

Ya but thats an AC wave form in his pic. I must be confused.
A DC output solid-state relay is usually bipolar so it will also control AC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back