Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Requiring country of OP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlPhart

Most responses have to be consistent with the OPs location: parts & services availability. Also, the local mains power system may be critical to an appropriate answer. I don't know how to do it, but couching every response with "if this is an xxx system" gets thin.... <<<)))

I most definitely dislike the idea of requiring posters to give their location.

I can, however, live with suggesting it to people here.

IMO when applying for membership of ETO, declaring and posting of the members Country of residence should be mandatory, any other details such as State/County or Town should be optional.

I'll 2nd ericgibbs, but in lieu of that, how about making it clear that response quality depends on general location. Then I can decide whether to help someone who makes it harder to help them.

Differences do exist

3v0,

My comments:

I am not sure about privacy. I am in the phone directory after all and my business card is given to two people at least, every time I come on board. My full style is all there.

Nowadays, in the so many countries imposing restrictions to the use of Internet, telling the location could be a problem. Maybe the interest of still being able of posting is important. I am sure.

I had the opportunity to be in countries where people had not even press to express themselves. (And at current pace we could match Venezuela in few years).

Telling the country is, in most of cases, more than enough, I think.

We have a similar debate at AAC. I would also like to point out that some countries are plain unpopular with others. Telling where you are from exposes the OP to strong censure from the other members (not the mods), even if they are basically decent people. A persons personality will eventually become known, but a requirement could short circuit that in a negative manner.

At the moment it is encouraged at AAC, most folks have their country, city, or state posted as part of the profile and posted on the upper right corner of a post, but it is not required.

At the moment it is encouraged at AAC, most folks have their country, city, or state posted as part of the profile and posted on the upper right corner of a post, but it is not required.

That sounds like an eminently fair policy, and I hope the keepers of this site leave well enough alone and only ask, not require, people to give this kind of information.

As to why I don't give this information, I like my privacy, what little shreds of it are left, anyhow. It's a precious commodity that's being rapidly eroded, in my view, and we need to push back against those who would impose a Total Information Awareness-type regime on us. So thanks, but no thanks.

===========================================================

Regarding requesting the member's location information, here's how I would put it if it were up to me (in the FAQ or posting guidelines or similar place):

If you are requesting specific information about electronic parts, or want to know where you can get a certain component, please be aware that it will be very helpful to those trying to assist you if you tell us where in the world you are, as parts availability varies a lot from place to place. You can give this information by [tell how to fill out one's profile here].

Or something like that. Other than parts availability, can you think of any compelling reason why you should need to know where someone is posting from?

Last edited:
TOther than parts availability, can you think of any compelling reason why you should need to know where someone is posting from?

I thought we're already listed various ones?, they are easily worked out.

Well, okay, there are exactly two more:

1. To determine the type of household power available (i.e., whether the poster lives in 120-land or 240-land). Valid, I suppose, though this could also be determined by a simple question.
2. To determine time zones. Not particularly important here, I would think, since there are no real time limitations on posts.

Telling where you are from exposes the OP to strong censure from the other members (not the mods), even if they are basically decent people. A persons personality will eventually become known, but a requirement could short circuit that in a negative manner.
ETO members are not allowed to disrespect others for any reason. We are here to share our love of electronics and should not be putting anything else ahead of that.

ETO members are not allowed to disrespect others for any reason. We are here to share our love of electronics and should not be putting anything else ahead of that.

"Should not be" being the key phrase here. Ideally, yes, but I think the point is that sometimes identifying your country of origin or residence can expose you to ill will, regardless of what people are or aren't supposed to do: why cause potential problems?

Although my objection is much simpler and more practical: there's simply no compelling reason to require it, so let's don't. If you want to encourage people to volunteer this information, fine.

It's like all the useless information that's requested of us every day, phone numbers, contact info, other personal information: I suspect that in at least half the cases, the information is never used and serves no real purpose. It's just that the requesting organization has been doing things this way for years, and has never really looked at that information and determined if it really should be collected.

"<snip> there's simply no compelling reason to require it, so let's don't. </snip>

You haven't been active very long on this forum and I don't know how active you are on other forums, but when it comes down to someone posting a question to be answered....you want maximum information in order to supply a viable answer.

Generally, the OP is particularly scant with information and subsequent project details have to be virtually pried out. Add to that a lack of geographical location and suggestions of possibly suitable/affordable/procurable devices becomes more difficult to ascertain.

Generally, the OP is particularly scant with information and subsequent project details have to be virtually pried out. Add to that a lack of geographical location and suggestions of possibly suitable/affordable/procurable devices becomes more difficult to ascertain.

Which is why I suggested advising people that they'll be better served giving at least some geographic information if their questions have to do with obtaining parts, but not requiring it. Whatever loss there is is the O.P.s, not anyone else on the forum, so no harm, no foul.

I suppose part of the frustration comes from members giving up their own free time to answer questions.

In order to better utilise that time, shouldn't it be a reasonable expectation that practically everthing which pertains is covered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back