Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reporting bugs in the new siteware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgibbs

Most Helpful Member
Hi,
It must be difficult for Electromaster to check all the Forums/Threads searching for any reported errors in the new software.

I would suggest that members who have noted problems with the new software, aka "Aug 2013 Xenforo conversion", post their findings to this Thread, hopefully it will help EM in completing the upgrade.

Regards
Eric

Last edited:
Thanks Eric.

Here is the list of stuff I'm working on..

- Thread attachments not displaying inline (showing 'View Attachment XXXXX') Done!
- Attachments for Blogs not showing. Done!
- Attachments for Articles not showing. Done!
- Issue with editor (font formatting, strange behaviour)
- Tools section missing Done!
- Unsanswered Posts link missing
- Latex Done
- Forum Supporter Done!
- User Albums
- Responsive design on various pages
- Symbols (Button Displaying but not functional yet..)
- Green Bar for members
- Email alerts need thread text info Done!
- Online/Offline icons Done!

I'm just working through them one by one so please be patient and remember.

If I've missed any, please make a quick post with a small description and I'll add it to the list. I maynot respond straight away but I will see it and eventually get to it :)

Regards,
EM

Last edited:
Blog Errors -- Long-term Effects?

Is there a way to change the error message one gets when trying to access a blog, article, etc.?

Sorry this is a long post. Starting with the present software conversion, blogs, articles, attachments, and some other things have had problems with searching and retrieval. That was understandable and hopefully just a local, short-term inconvenience. But, it is apparently not just local and may not be short term. As we know, Google forgets nothing. Early on, I searched Google for my username and 16F1519 to see what is showed for my blog on the subject. Yes, it showed the blog, but when clicking on the link, I got a simple error message:

61597-1135cbc8d55d4f36350a5e8cf3ce2fb6.jpg

Today, I repeated the test and clicked on the very same Google link, but got something entirely different. It went to an ETO page from 2002:

61598-b950979f29f4cc76e3ac683a7fd0c107.jpg

Moreover, when I clicked on another Google link to the same blog, a different error message is received:

61599-7e10cc0acc657cbd5190563c9c9b733c.jpg

I assume that many, maybe most members of ETO are aware of the software change and understand that such errors will eventually be resolved. But what about those who reach ETO from another source, such as Google? At any one time, we know that the majority of ETO viewers are not members. What proportion of blog and article hits come from search engines? I suspect that proportion is high after the first few weeks of posting. When ETO is fixed, will the Google errors remain?

Well, I know we can't change Google, but maybe ETO can change the error message it is sending out so that it will explain the site is undergoing rebuilding and the searched item may in fact exist and be found. After explaining that, I think adding simply, "Please check back in a week for the information you need. We apologize for the inconvenience," might help.

As a realist, however, I fear the bad links may remain forever bad. Does anyone have experience with that aspect?

John

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 359
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    192.8 KB · Views: 332
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 340
:( Can't find any way to PM members, or to upload files other than image/media/code in a Conversation.

With regards to Google, while they don't forget much they do understand that people need to update urls and page content and they accommodate it. Obviously Google will for a period be out of sync, but it will catch up pretty quickly. Google is re-indexing currently and has already indexed 60,000 pages today.

alec_t, click on a members username, click Start a Conversation. To upload a file look for the button Upload A file which is below the text area - it's not in the editor bar..

Re email alerts. The old version used to include the text of the post, which was quite useful. Now it doesn't and I have to click the link.
Re albums. Still not appeared.

With regards to Google, while they don't forget much they do understand that people need to update urls and page content and they accommodate it. Obviously Google will for a period be out of sync, but it will catch up pretty quickly. Google is re-indexing currently and has already indexed 60,000 pages today.

How often does Google completely re-index ETO? The second clip (snip) I showed could be due to the re-index. It seems to me that re-indexing a database we know to be wrong is not the way to go, unless of course, re-indexing occurs on some periodic and frequent basis.

Is there not a way to give a more informative error message?

John

Google constantly scans ETO, but to help out (in situations like this) we also provide a sitemap to Google. The sitemap is generated on our site and lists all urls, once submitted to google they will start fetching all the pages so they have fresh results..

Within a day or so Google will be sending us traffic to the correct urls.

click on a members username, click Start a Conversation.
I don't see a 'Start a Conversation' button on the member screen :(

To upload a file look for the button Upload A file which is below the text area - it's not in the editor bar..
If I go to my user profile page and click Converstions/Start a New Conversation I don't see the Upload a file button anywhere on the page :(

Hi,

There are problems with the 'code' tags but i think this is known now.

But i also can not find the Articles section anymore. Where could i find that now? Thanks.

Hi,

There are problems with the 'code' tags but i think this is known now.

But i also can not find the Articles section anymore. Where could i find that now? Thanks.
hi Al,
Its on the start up page.
Either Left click Articles or use the Down arrow on the 'Articles' button
Eric

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    48 KB · Views: 334
If I go to my user profile page and click Converstions/Start a New Conversation I don't see the Upload a file button anywhere on the page :(

Sorry guys that's a permission issue. All fixed. Please note, articles are currently missing a few things and are on the list of thngs to fix :)

When I click on a thread to read it, it opens at the bottom of the page with the cursor blinking in the reply box. How do I get it to open at the top of the page at the first post like it used to?

When I click on a thread to read it, it opens at the bottom of the page with the cursor blinking in the reply box. How do I get it to open at the top of the page at the first post like it used to?
Just select the page number, if there are more than one... if there's only one page ????

1) We now have a Symbols icon in the toolbar (thanks for that), but it's non-functional (at least on my PC, WinXP SP3, Firefox).

2) Are Conversations visible to all, or only to invited participants?

1) We now have a Symbols icon in the toolbar (thanks for that), but it's non-functional (at least on my PC, WinXP SP3, Firefox).

The Symbols are not currently working. Am still trying to figure out how to slide out a bar like the smilies.. But the button next to it (Latex) is working now.

2) Are Conversations visible to all, or only to invited participants?

Yes, every member has Conversations. You should be able to send to anyone.

The "upgrade" lost the "previous message" title and the "next message" title after the last post of the thread. This increases the time it takes to go from thread to thread.

Yes, every member has Conversations. You should be able to send to anyone.
Sorry, what I meant was 'are Conversation contents visible to all', i.e. are they private or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back