Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

replacing that AC/DC converter : voltage divider ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeorge_kabbi

we purchased a massage chair from china , shipped to my home . my sister -guided by the label on the

chair - plugged it in 220v AC but the chair did not work, plugging it in 110v AC did not work either.

being the home electronic "pro" ( lolz i don't know any real **** about electronics) i was asked to look

into it.i decided that it will be a good learning tool ( lolz) .

upon opening the chair i found that the ac/dv transformer was labeled "110v" so i thought that plugging

it into 220v broke it. i found the fuse to be burned.

replacing the fuse did not help. chicking the dc output of the transformer i found that it is faulty.

the tranformer is labeled as such:
110v AC input

20v DC output 1 amp
12v DC output 3.5 amp

yes it has 2 output plugs. so i decided that i will buy another one. but searching the local market i

only found 220v AC input , 24v DC output.220v AC input is nice for out area ,but 24V will not do any

good.

my solution is : just use voltage devidor to convert 24 volt to 20. and use the same idea to convert 24

volt to 12. job done.

right or wrong ?
will the cost of resistors be acceptable ?

Wrong.

Think about it. Aside from not knowing the current required and basing it off the parts you have won't work there is another problem. If I have 24 VDC and build a voltage divider of 2:1 I will have 12 volts at the junction of my resistors. Works fine till I place a load across my resistor out and suddenly I have a new added resistance in parallel with my original resistance so what happens?

Your best bet is to build a new power supply network. Use a 20 volt and 12 volt transformer if need be and make sure you meet the current requirements.

Ron

Last edited:
I think the motor or circuit in the chair is fried from using a voltage that was twice as high as it was designed for. Then the transformer power supply also failed and blew the fuse.

Then replacing the fuse and power supply will not fix it. A voltage divider made with resistors IS NOT a power supply.

You are lucky that it did not burn down your home. The insurance company will not pay for fire damaged by un-certified Chinese electrical junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back