Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacing Optical Switch with Microswitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a printer which uses an optical switch to control the paper feed. Unfortunately heat from the printer damages the switch. I have replaced it once, but it only lasted for a few pages. I am considering whether to replace it with a microswitch if I can find room and a way of attaching it.

The microswitch will have near zero resistance compared with the phototransistor's on resistance which will be appreciable. In order to avoid overloading the printer's electronics with a higher current, I could put a resistor in series with the switch - how about 1K?

Optical Switch

If your printer is killing optical switches, then you need to find out why - they are EXTREMELY reliable devices - and only lasting a few pages surely means there's something badly wrong.

What is dying?, the LED or the transistor? - according to that datasheet there's no other components there, so any current limiting needs to be external, was that the case with the original one?.

As for a microswitch, there's no need for a resistor, as the existing opto is just a transistor switch to ground and you could just replace it with the microswitch.

Nigel

I've read on the Internet that the opto-switch gets damaged by heat from the fuser, the max temperature it can take is 95C.

I'll have to find the original and test it.

I know how transistors work, but only in principle, not well enough to do calculations! I used the operating voltage and the maximum current to calculate the on-resistance of the transistor: R=20V/15mA. That wasn't valid as that figure isn't the on-current, it's the maximum allowable current. I assume you are saying that the on-resistance is virtually nothing, in which case I don't need a resistor to restrict the current.

Last edited:
Nigel

I've read on the Internet that the opto-switch gets damaged by heat from the fuser, the max temperature it can take is 95C.

I'll have to find the original and test it.

I know how transistors work, but only in principle, not well enough to do calculations! I used the operating voltage and the maximum current to calculate the on-resistance of the transistor: R=20V/15mA. That wasn't valid as that figure isn't the on-current, it's the maximum allowable current. I assume you are saying that the on-resistance is virtually nothing, in which case I don't need a resistor to restrict the current.

Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back