Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing solar powered garden lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
An LED is bright when it has 25mA. You have 7 LEDs so the current might be as high as 175mA.Then the current from your 900mAh battery cell will be 3.5V/1.2V= 2.8 times higher and it will last only half an hour.

Your solar panel is too small so it will take a few days to fully charge your 900mAh battery cell.

Bloogoo, I don't know if this will fix your problem, but just an idea of what I did to fix one of my lights. I'm an astronomer, and wanted to modify a cheap amber light with a red LED to mark a gate post at our observatory.

It used a 600mAh AA Ni-Cad to light an amber LED for only part of the night. I first wondered how I would power a 2.5vlt red LED off of a 1.5v battery, then I saw on Makezine.com a circuit for a "Joule Thief". Basically they were running an LED off of a less than 1v battery by using a inductance coil and a transistor to build enough current to light the LED. I built a test circuit, and it worked, started to try to put it in the light, and decided to look at the original with a oscilloscope. Come to find out it was nearly the same circuit. I soldered in my red LED and sure enough it lit. But would still die after a couple hours. I then replaced the 600mAh battery with an old 1850mAh Ni-Mh out of my digital camera that would die after a couple of pictures. It now shines brightly all night long. It seems that I rather had a bad battery, or it was getting fully charged with it's smaller capacity.

~Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back