Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing Remington hair straighteners - odd power connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilTheDruid

Hi guys,

I am repairing some of my girlfriends hair straighteners. It is a pretty easy repair in theory - just a break in the power cord. Unfortunately, it has a really odd swivelling connector that sort of looks like a male phono connector. Does anyone know what kind of connector this is, what it's called and where I could get one that isn't a sealed unit?

Cheers :)

Attachments

• DSC04484.JPG
    DSC04484.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 4,047
Ever notice how cables almost always break right at the end of the "strain relief". "Nothing through a cable!"...Look just outboard of the strain relief! ;)

That looks like a "slop ring rotator", not a "standard connector". Unless you can get a direct replacement cord from Remington (doubtful), you can probably consider it a loss.

Ken

Ever notice how cables almost always break right at the end of the "strain relief". "Nothing through a cable!"...Look just outboard of the strain relief!

Frequently! Most often on microphone cables.

Obvious conclusions are that the strain relief is either:
Too short
Too stiff
Too short and too stiff!

Regarding the hair straightener cable, you need a new one, if the cable is available as a spare.

Otherwise buy your girlfriend a new hair straightener for Christmas.*

JimB

Afterthought...
* Do Druids celebrate "Christmas" ??
If not just buy her one because you can.

Go to a Goodwill or similar thrift store and get a used one for a couple of bucks. I've seen tons of them there. And no, I don't look for them...they're just near the electronics stuff.

Ken

Yep I celebrate Christmas. :)

I probably will get the girlfriend some new straighteners. The reason I asked is because it is so frustrating when you know that in theory it should be a simple repair. Like it has been said above, the strain relief is too rigid, the cable has bent too much just outside of the relief.

Oh well. Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I would cut the end off (after find which side is neutral and which is hot, and ground if needed), fit a grommet on, solder it into place wherever the contacts lead to, then fit it in place and add a bit of JB Weld for more strain relief. Sure, you wouldn't have a swivel end any more, but it would work just fine, cost less, and be more environmentally friendly in the long run...

If you can get the spare part, buy it. Otherwise, try this

Laptop Charger plug repair (how to) « Engallamientos de La Rotta

Obviously avoid using hot glue in this case: epoxy or a stronger alternative is safer.
On a low voltag-cable repair, I recently did similar. But the OP's iron has a broken line-voltage cord that will encounter a lot of flexing. And, it isn't him, but his girlfriend that he would be putting at risk if it fails in a dangerous manner. Used ones, in like-new condition, go for as low as $3.

Ken

Oh don't misunderstand me KMoffett, I don't want to endanger anyone, under no circumstance

The first option will always be getting a decent spare part or a new unit. But in some countries the spare is really hard to find, and the girl may not be happy using another cheap straightener, even if it does the same thing (you know how complicated the girls are).

So, If the OP is good with soldering and twin epoxy, he can resolder and then rebuild the plug jacket. Of course, checking the integrity of the finished job by bending and pulling the cord is a must!

Last edited:
Ive fixed quite a few "Chi" irons with the same problem. You know what the easy fix is? Chop the connector off and solder the cable to the wires inside. Mount the cable and youre good to go

Oh don't misunderstand me KMoffett, I don't want to endanger anyone, under no circumstance

The first option will always be getting a decent spare part or a new unit. But in some countries the spare is really hard to find, and the girl may not be happy using another cheap straightener, even if it does the same thing (you know how complicated the girls are).

So, If the OP is good with soldering and twin epoxy, he can resolder and then rebuild the plug jacket. Of course, checking the integrity of the finished job by bending and pulling the cord is a must!

from experience this is quite possible,
as long as his fabrication skills suit and he tests it correctly afterward....earthing resistance (if its not double insulated) megohm meter (leakage on the repaired socket) etc..... its gonna be round bathroom sinks and we all know girlfriends, water and mainsAC dont mix well :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back