Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing Roger Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigben1103

I recently bought cheap walkie talkies to keep in contact with my employees close range. The only problem is the annoying roger beep every time we push the talk button. There is no way to turn it off without modification and i don't know enough about electronics to figure it out myself.

The Model is Cobra Microtalk cxt 145

Is there something on the circuit board to remove that will make this stop? If it requires me to add more parts than that ill cut my losses

Last edited:
A lot of these little radios have the same mechanism for turning off the "roger beep". Turn off the radio, hold the "channel up" button, turn on the radio and wait till it boots up, then let go the channel button. I don't know if that will help or not, but worth a shot :)

Links didn't work
20150110_135748.jpg
20150110_135741.jpg

The trouble with modern radios, is that features such as a roger bleep, are likely rolled up into the firmware rather than having an actual delay circuit and tone generator. About the only thing likely to produce results for you, will be to get a hold of the programming software. I would lay a bet it's a toggle feature. Other than that, I think you may well be out of luck :)

The trouble with modern radios, is that features such as a roger bleep, are likely rolled up into the firmware rather than having an actual delay circuit and tone generator. About the only thing likely to produce results for you, will be to get a hold of the programming software. I would lay a bet it's a toggle feature. Other than that, I think you may well be out of luck :)

I agree. The only hope is that the microprocessor in the radio is synthesizing the audio beep as a square wave at one of its port pins, and that square wave is then passed through an analog RC filter, and then summed into the modulation circuits in the transmitter. Cutting a trace between the uprocessor and the modulator would get rid of it. Knowing which trace to cut without having a schematic diagram or a o'scope is virtually impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back