Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
PIC's can be programmed to do timer functions.

Do you have any PIC programming tools and experience.??

I would make a formal complaint to Rapid about their product support.

its timeguard that i spoke to and i have the programming tools and the cable i made a simple robot about 6 months ago and programmed it to move, detect walls and flash some leds when turning and stuff all real basic stuff but i am willing to learn whats the best way to learn and would it be an idea to learn c instead of basic

its timeguard that i spoke to and i have the programming tools and the cable i made a simple robot about 6 months ago and programmed it to move, detect walls and flash some leds when turning and stuff all real basic stuff but i am willing to learn whats the best way to learn and would it be an idea to learn c instead of basic

You could write a program in Basic that would do the job of 4 timers, there are some free lite versions of Basic on the web

i have the software and so i could use 1 pic to do the job of 4 timers? and could i intergrate some sort of display for time settings and stuff or is that too much, and how easy is this because i wouldnt no where to start when programmnig it

i have the software and so i could use 1 pic to do the job of 4 timers? and could i intergrate some sort of display for time settings and stuff or is that too much, and how easy is this because i wouldnt no where to start when programmnig it

hi,
Which PIC's do you have on the workshop shelf.??

atm none but maplin sell them so can always pic one up lol, i have used the PICAXE-28 Project Board but from there i wouldnt know where to start

atm none but maplin sell them so can always pic one up lol, i have used the PICAXE-28 Project Board but from there i wouldnt know where to start

I would suggest lets hear what the support engineer has to say tomorrow, he may have a quick fix for the Timers.

There are number of members who use Picaxe who could help you.

ok after not receiving a call from their engineer i rung them and got told he will call me back in 10 minutes an hour later i rung back and he said sorry he forgot after all this, we started diagnosis he asked me to test the battery voltage and i tested it and i got 0.069v he said that it uses a half wave rectifier to charge the battery and as the unit is dc it uses the battery to run the display he said i should leave it for an hour or 2 and it should charge up and come on.

so after all this the unit uses the built in battery to power it and only uses the ac supply to charge the battery. does this make sense to anyone? so basically it is a dc only unit and it doesnt run on ac as they state?

im so confused as to why it does this

thanks

jak

hi jak,
That does make some sense if the battery is 'flat' then it will take a while to recharge,,, keep it connected for a few hours, then retry.

EDIT: the 1N4007 diode supplies a DC current to the Unit and the 15K limits the current to a safe level.

Last edited:
im using 1n4004 and ok the screen is showing a tiny bit of life in the top left corner is this right?

hi,
A 1N4004 is mains rated for the UK, so its OK.

Leave it charging for a few hours.

if i change the 1n4004 for a 1n4007 will that not give it the dc feed i need

The 1N4004 already gives the required DC, a 1N4007 is just a higher working voltage, it will make no difference.

Has the Unit showed any signs of powering up, after being on charge for a few hours.? if not, disconnect the mains and check the battery voltage.

Ok like I told you I have 4 units the 1st one stuff came on and then nothing happened so I tried the next one and it works so I think the 1st one has a dead battery because after 20 mins of the mains being disconnected the voltage was down to 0.3v which says to me dead lol

Ok like I told you I have 4 units the 1st one stuff came on and then nothing happened so I tried the next one and it works so I think the 1st one has a dead battery because after 20 mins of the mains being disconnected the voltage was down to 0.3v which says to me dead lol

So to recap, one of the units works OK.?? and the second one will not hold a charge on the battery.??

How long has the second , suspect battery one, been on charge.??

Have you tried units 3 and 4 , after being charged for a few hours.?

Not tried 3-4 yet will try them today but unit one was on charge for 4 hours and lost charge and unit 2 works fine so far

Not tried 3-4 yet will try them today but unit one was on charge for 4 hours and lost charge and unit 2 works fine so far

OK, Lets know how 3 and 4 go after a long charge.

Many products either have an insulating strip between the battery end and its holder, which the user removes when installing for the first time, this prevents the battery from discharging while on the Shop shelf.

Others warn the user that the unit must be connected to the mains for a few hours BEFORE being used, else the battery could be damaged by over discharging.

I would recommend that if any of the units fail to work, get them replaced F.O.C. and complain to the supplier that the datasheet supplied with unit should carry a Charge first warning.

ok getting really frustrated now one of them worked last night the 3rd one was on charge all day and nothing so i switched it back to the second one and its been on charge for an hour and half now and nothing it was charged within half hour yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back