Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay Driver circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deedee

Hi guys...
I am total newbie at electronics and i am trying to make a relay driver circuit using a 555 timer. The requirements were to generate pulses with 50% duty cycle and time period of 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes and always ON. I am attaching my circuit diagram... will any of you kind souls tell me if i have made a mistake?
Btw the relay is a 12 V 4PDT relay and has a coil resistance of 100 ohms.
**broken link removed**

I am not sure why you are using Q1 and Q2 to switch in extra capacitors. It had been my experience that large values of capacitors on a normal 555 will not work effectively. That is to say the leakage current get's in the way and they will not charge to the 2/3 value of Vcc. Two ways around this problem are 1. Go to a cmos version so larger values of resistors and smaller values of capacitors can be used. 2. Use faster times with a counter following the the 555 to divide the time.
The other problem if you want 50% duty cycles you need to change the configuration of the 555 as it isnt 50% with the values of the resistors shown.

Thanks for your response!
When I place an oscillator probe at pin 6 (threshold pin) i see something strange. The output at pin 3 is supposed to trigger from High to low when the Voltage at pin 6 is 2/3 Vcc (8 V). however the output actually triggers when the voltage across capacitor C2 reaches 10 V. As a result I get a very high on time (70s) compared to off time ( 30s). Is this also due to leakage of capacitor?
I am switching in extra capacitors to get different time constants.

why don't you use the 555 in combination with a 4017 and if you want the longer times you conect (with diodes of course)the outputs from the 4017 together and through a colector switchc onect it then to the transistor

that's much more acurate

Deedee said:
Thanks for your response!
When I place an oscillator probe at pin 6 (threshold pin) i see something strange. The output at pin 3 is supposed to trigger from High to low when the Voltage at pin 6 is 2/3 Vcc (8 V). however the output actually triggers when the voltage across capacitor C2 reaches 10 V. As a result I get a very high on time (70s) compared to off time ( 30s). Is this also due to leakage of capacitor?
I am switching in extra capacitors to get different time constants.
I know you are switching in the extra capacitors to get different time constants. I calculated high time a low time with the normal 555 equations and your values are very close. Why the circuit is acting that way I am not sure. I think you mean oscilloscope probe instead of ocillator probe on pin 6.
It is possible it could be giving a problem as a lot of oscilloscopes have a 1M input impedance.
I'll do some research and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back