Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Refridgerator/Freezer Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.james

Nowadays they have solid state starter relays in these and one of mine stopped working . definately the starter so i am ordering some new ones .
Its marked as
PTH AS
330M3555
07 M 70P

So the ones that are available are 12 Ohm and 33 Ohm so I am wondering which I will need as my markings do not show the resistance that I can pick . The ebay reference to the sort of thing I am choosing from is

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...er+Relay.TRS0&_nkw=PTC+Starter+Relay&_sacat=0

Can anyone advise me on this please ?
Also any suggestions on something I can use temporarily , Would a start capacitor do for a while to keep my beef frozen?

Last edited:
Hi, can you enclose a picture so it can be better identified, what about the make and model of the appliance.

As for the beef, that's what friends are for, either distribute it amongst there freezers or feed them all :)

With PTC relays the resistance is at 25Deg C which goes hi when heated as its to give about a half second pulse of current to the start windings. There is also a Max voltage & current rating. For a temporary fix try dismantling it, if the disc inside isn't shattered try flipping it around. Also what is the line voltage where you are?

Attachments

• PTC.1.JPG
    PTC.1.JPG
    746.6 KB · Views: 196
  • PTC.2.JPG
    PTC.2.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 187
  • PTC.3.JPG
    PTC.3.JPG
    775.8 KB · Views: 183
  • PTC.4.JPG
    PTC.4.JPG
    833.6 KB · Views: 218
  • PTC.5.JPG
    PTC.5.JPG
    791 KB · Views: 202
240 Volts I have new ones coming of 22ohm and 33ohm . Original is completely gone . How can I attach a start capacitor to the motor temporarily?

Don't even think about using a start capacitor. The motor has to have a half second pulse on the start winding to kick start.

So I take it these are poly switches which I have plenty of . perhaps I can use one of them . Wired across the active to start winding?

As far as I can see poly switches are not the same as a PTC relay. For a start they are not rated at that high a voltage. sugest you Google Polyfuses & PTC relays before you burn out the start windings on your compressor.

330 is code for 33Ω

As far as I can see poly switches are not the same as a PTC relay. For a start they are not rated at that high a voltage. sugest you Google Polyfuses & PTC relays before you burn out the start windings on your compressor.

OK well lots of negativity in your posts but can you make a constructive addition to my options ? How else would I get a temporary pulse and I do think they make poly switches at 240 V see below and the theory is the resistance almost immediately shoots up to very high so how would I burn out the motor winding if there is minimum current flowing pray tell?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Well if you want to try poly switches then go ahead, But if you want a temporary pulse use a push button switch to give a pulse as you power up the compressor. This will start it & it will keep running until the thermostat cuts the compressor out. But when the thermostat cuts in the compressor wont start unless you happen to be there to press the start button again. If you cant get there when this happens the thermal overload will keep tripping. I repair fridges & its not cheap to replace a burnt out compressor, I prefer to do the job properly.

I guess he didn't want to go there with the polyswitches or maybe hasn't used them . They are the basis of the device used anyway from what I can see

But good enough thanks for answering debe.
I wonder if anyone else can suggest a pulse mechanism each time the thermostat turns it back on . This being an electronics forum . I thought about an arduino but that seems like overkill but I have been spending time coding one . I have about 150 Kilos of meat stored in it atm waiting for a switch from HK so a little bit of mucking about is not a problem . Its 360 klm to a shop to buy one and indeed I have been using a trip system for a week now starting it twice a day .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back