Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommended Pad Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman83

I need to make a footprint for SIP male/female headers. I realize that it is the simplest device you would ever have to make a footprint for, but I still had a question.
Header Pad Size.jpg
How big should I make the pads?
The software I am using makes it very easy to create or modify footprints. I could easily make a couple different ones for use in different situations, but I want to make one "general use" to put in my library. I am thinking 1.8mm - 2.0mm. I understand that different situations warrant different footprints - larger for high currents, stronger connections and smaller to allow for routing low current pathways between the pads. But what is a good, all around, in between size?

Will you be making the boards yourself or having them professionally made or both? For a DIY board the size of a drill bit you can reliably use will dictate minimum pad size and pad to pad clearance will set your maximum value.

I am going to have them professionally made. I know that there are minimum dimensions that board houses can work with. I would, of course, make sure my footprints meet those requirements. Now that I've had some time to think about things, I think my original question didn't need to be asked. Thanks, though... :)

Hi Patman83,

I suggest solution 1 (pad diameter 1.6mm) Eagle uses a standard setting of 1.6002mm and a drill size of 0.8128mm (reduced to about 0.8mm after copper plating the through holes).

Connectors should fit through the drill hole and space between pads allows for a 0.4046mm trace to be "thrown" between them.

You will have problems with a pad diameter of 1.8mm getting traces between pads (if necessary). (For pad to trace minimum clearance the allowable trace width will be reduced to 0.1322mm.)

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back