Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC car steering current

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhaniko93

Hello. I'm creating a simple RC car and I have faced a problem:
the main and steering motors are fed from the same battery. when I turn left, for example, huge current is drawn to steering motor, as it doesn't rotate, and so if I want to steer while going, it slows a lot, in most cases it even stops. what shall I do?

Install a slip clutch between the motor and the steering mechanism?

Power the steering motor from a current source rather than a voltage source?

BTW, you know the difference between justice & revenge? IIRC Ms. Vos Savant said the first becomes the second when it starts being fun.

Last edited:
My guess would be that the steering mechanism is binding real badly when turning left, that is if turning right is pulling a decent currant and/or the battery is just barely sufficient :(

You may be able to find a resistor that can be placed in series with the motor of such value that the motor supplies enough torque to turn but the stall current is not too high.

I would suggest using a smaller geared-down steering motor to give the same torque at lower current.

Yeah, do what alec_t suggested. I had the same problem with my old RC. I used gears to increase the torque output from the steering motor, and it worked great

Last edited:
I can't change motor, I bought a RC car, took whole PCB out but left motors in, so it HAS to work with those motors under some configuration. any help?

On my autonomous/RC car, when it turned full right/left, the linkage would stop, but the motor was still "ON" and sucking alot of current, causing the micro-controllers to reset. I thought it was a 'bug' :( after countless hours(days),
I realized what was going on :) I added two steering limit micro switches. They cut the power to the motor when at full lock, but allows the opposite steering to reverse the motor. Hope this may help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back