Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I done ordered one from Newark they sent a email saying there sorry but it may be june before I get it.

Probably easier to get the schematics and turn your own out..... I'm sure the software would be free.

Hey they even took my money witch is a first most times they wait till it can be shipped

But would cost you a LOT more money, assuming you could source the parts and make the PCB.

Those guy's at TinyClr..(GHIElectronics) give you virtually all that you need to make their gear... All you need to do is buy the ARM processor of them with the firmware already installed... They actually encourage you to make your own stuff..

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't very similar.... They also produce the .net gadgeteer ( designed my MS ) . I bet if I tried... I could get a mini linux running straight off an EMX module..

G'day Guy's,
How long ago was it announced that this 'PI in the sky' was on the market, and it isnt often mobs like RS and Farnell will take money up front for back orders. Thanks Nigel for mentioning where the pi was first born and it does confirm what I've read on the net about this project is trying to run a marathon before they can crawl. With the prices they are quoting for it just go imagine the cost of making the boards for that price and still make a profit and where is the development testing to prove this will actually work as stated.

In another twist for those who use FreeBSD there is a retroBSD port available as an open source project that will run on existing boards....

http://retrobsd.org/

Cheers Bryan

I will stick with my Iphone...

I will stick with my Iphone...

We could do that... But sticking an Iphone in the cab of a crane...... Wouldn't be there long... I've actually thought of a small android system.... But same again!!! I suppose you could just embed the phone so it didn't look like one....:):)

p
We could do that... But sticking an Iphone in the cab of a crane...... Wouldn't be there long... I've actually thought of a small android system.... But same again!!! I suppose you could just embed the phone so it didn't look like one....:):)

Tough choice, a VERY cheap full computer with decent I/O facilities, specifically made for that use - or a VERY expensive mobilephone with sod-all I/O and mostly useless for hardware programming :p

I don't seem to remember where the HDMI socket on an iPhone is either? :D

G'day Guy's,
Well I did mention about another ARM based linux board and the big difference between this one and the pi is this one is totally open source. Don from Dontronic's has made a new webpage showing this new product so eh go have look.

**broken link removed**

Cheers Bryan

Just had an email, my Raspberry PI has been dispatched! :D

Hi Nigel,

I would love to hear about your experience with it as soon as you get it and what you think about it overall.
Please keep us informed.

Hi Nigel,

I would love to hear about your experience with it as soon as you get it and what you think about it overall.
Please keep us informed.

Well it's arrived - it's tiny :D

I know it says 'credit card sized', but you don't realise how small it is till you have one in your hand.

I've just made a Debian image on a 4GB SD card, but I don't have a power supply, or even a USB lead with a micro USB plug on it , so I've just ordered a USB to Micro USB lead.

Well it's arrived - it's tiny
What, come on don't leave us hanging like that, where's the pictures =)

Yes Nigel, but they're not pictures of YOUR RasberryPI =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back