1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Computers and Networks' started by Nigel Goodwin, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Pommie

Pommie Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Looks like I'll have to wait a little longer than you lot. Here in Aus they are only taking expressions of interest.

I'm thinking I might setup an old PC and install Fedora to get up to speed. I can see this becoming the embedded system of choice if schools adopt it.

Mike.

2. SPDCHK

SPDCHK Member

Hey Bill, welcome back. Long time no see...

This little computes seems very interesting. I currently have a project where I need client PC's from a terminal server. I assume that the OS on this computer will not be Windows based, but I think I'll contact the suppliers to find out if there might be a work-around. I'd rather have a small cheap little Raspberry unit, v.s. a Desktop PC. Cheap enough to replace if anything should go wrong.

3. be80be

be80be Well-Known Member

You could Use windows 8 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/...ndows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx

And this may work for you http://www.arm.com/community/software-enablement/microsoft/windows-embedded-ce.php

I would just use Linux I ran debian on 8 netcafe Computers couldn't keep windows clean and running. People would kill about one windows xp PC a week

Changed the to Debian and they ran for over a year no problems and the hardest app I had to get working
    was to use Windows messenger. Had to chat LOL

Now there are programs for any thing you can think of

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. dave

Dave New Member

5. be80be

be80be Well-Known Member

Mike the last time I used Fedora It was great. This is a awesome little PC I'm going to use it for Netflix It can handle BLueRay I think it should work nice to steam video to my tv. Then I put my old dell to rest and maybe have something nice to look at, a nice box to put it in wireless key board and mouse and lay on the couch

I just have to post this

And the Raspberry Pi has 2 time the ram that quote is from same GPU but more ram really can't wait to see this puppy smoke

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  6. Pommie

Anyone know how much of the RAM is used by the operating system?

Mike.

7. be80be

be80be Well-Known Member

There is 256 and 128 of it is for video from what I been reading. The real spec of this chip is kind of hush hush LOL you can't even get a data sheet if your not going to buy 10.000 of them and show what your using them in.

But Raspberry Pi said they will post a lot of information plus datasheet

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. Pommie

OK, Arm aren't going to tell us but the Fedora system will require an amount of RAM, how much is left? No knowledge of the chip is required.

Mike.

9. SPDCHK

SPDCHK Member

Burt,

My application is for process control, control room environment. We are doing a project in the DRC. My SCADA package is Wonderware ArchestA, interfacing with Rockwell Automation (Allen Bradley PLCs

I would like to keep the control room client computers divorced from the main server equipment and our current design is to use terminal servers into which the clients log into. The SCADA software resides in the terminal servers. I don't know if the Wonderware software will install in a Linux OS. (There's quite a few Microsoft software packages involved to make the SCADA fully functional)

I will start with an investigation soon and even get the guys from Wonderware involved.

Thanks for the reply.

10. Sceadwian

Sceadwian Banned

Lol, this thing has better specs than my smartphone!

11. MrAl

MrAl Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Hi again,

If these things sell as good as i think they will, we'll probably see better specs in the future too with more ram and stuff.

12. be80be

be80be Well-Known Member

Mike I have ran a full blown Debian on a ARM 7 that had 32 MB ram and 64 flash and a 1G compact flash drive.

It used half of compact flash drive for swap which to the OS looks like ram and Linux is real good at using swap space.
    But there is a lot of changes now programs are bigger. I can see this running real good firefox loads in about 35mb and Linux can swap better then any OS I've used it will be zippy

I have used SD for swap and it's speed is ok programs ran smooth

I had a old P3 700 with 1 G of ram and it was not as fast as the arm7 running Gimp took time to load.

I guess when I get mine I get to see what it can do

But i installed a DVR for video cams in a store that's running a ARM like this and it was amazing how well it worked with video 16 cams and all are nice and clear.

13. DerStrom8

DerStrom8 Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

I'm very tempted to order one myself. Looks like a great little tool :D

By the way, welcome back Bill! :)

14. be80be

be80be Well-Known Member

Newark is going to have some soon. Yep I get mine in 4 months

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  15. Sceadwian

Sceadwian Banned

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  16. blueroomelectronics

blueroomelectronics Well-Known Member

Thanks but not really back, just lurking on occasion.

I think the Raspberry pi is a amazing deal for the price, but unlike it's website description I don't think it's revolutionary or even that important.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

I've a sneaky suspicion that it wont stay at this low low price for long. Marketing ploy to get them out there...

18. DerStrom8

DerStrom8 Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

I have a feeling you're right about that. Better get 'em while they're cheap, huh? :D

19. Nigel Goodwin

Nigel Goodwin Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

It probably won't help that they have now had to apply for CE (and presumably FCC etc.) testing, as an uncased experimenter board it's exempt, but because many users are buying it as a 'finished product' it's been classed as required.

20. 3v0

3v0 Coop Build Coordinator Forum Supporter

Newark is showing a 140 day lead time now. I was going to wait till they were in stock but am thinking that maybe that is a bad idea.

21. be80be

be80be Well-Known Member

I done ordered one from Newark they sent a email saying there sorry but it may be june before I get it.