Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I'll have to wait a little longer than you lot. Here in Aus they are only taking expressions of interest.

I'm thinking I might setup an old PC and install Fedora to get up to speed. I can see this becoming the embedded system of choice if schools adopt it.

Mike.

It looks like a fantastic little Linux board.

Hey Bill, welcome back. Long time no see...

This little computes seems very interesting. I currently have a project where I need client PC's from a terminal server. I assume that the OS on this computer will not be Windows based, but I think I'll contact the suppliers to find out if there might be a work-around. I'd rather have a small cheap little Raspberry unit, v.s. a Desktop PC. Cheap enough to replace if anything should go wrong.

You could Use windows 8 https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive...ndows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx

And this may work for you https://www.arm.com/community/software-enablement/microsoft/windows-embedded-ce.php

I would just use Linux I ran debian on 8 netcafe Computers couldn't keep windows clean and running. People would kill about one windows xp PC a week

Changed the to Debian and they ran for over a year no problems and the hardest app I had to get working
was to use Windows messenger. Had to chat LOL

Now there are programs for any thing you can think of

Last edited:
Mike the last time I used Fedora It was great. This is a awesome little PC I'm going to use it for Netflix It can handle BLueRay I think it should work nice to steam video to my tv. Then I put my old dell to rest and maybe have something nice to look at, a nice box to put it in wireless key board and mouse and lay on the couch

I just have to post this

First up is its ability to not only decode a 1080p HD-quality video stream on the fly - decent, but not unheard of in a mobile processor - but also to encode at this resolution in the popular H.264 format, recording full HD video on the fly before outputting it via HDMI. Still imagery hasn't been neglected either, with the company claiming the processor can handle the output from a sensor of up to twenty megapixels before breaking sweat.

Games performance has been given a tweak too, with the company claiming a 1 gigapixel fill rate and the ability to output rendered images via HDMI at up to 1080p natively - opening up the promise of portable high-definition gaming that can be easily connected to a big-screen display without looking like a dog's dinner.

And the Raspberry Pi has 2 time the ram that quote is from same GPU but more ram really can't wait to see this puppy smoke

Last edited:
There is 256 and 128 of it is for video from what I been reading. The real spec of this chip is kind of hush hush LOL you can't even get a data sheet if your not going to buy 10.000 of them and show what your using them in.

But Raspberry Pi said they will post a lot of information plus datasheet

Last edited:
OK, Arm aren't going to tell us but the Fedora system will require an amount of RAM, how much is left? No knowledge of the chip is required.

Mike.

You could Use windows 8 https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive...ndows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx

And this may work for you https://www.arm.com/community/software-enablement/microsoft/windows-embedded-ce.php

I would just use Linux I ran debian on 8 netcafe Computers couldn't keep windows clean and running. People would kill about one windows xp PC a week

Changed the to Debian and they ran for over a year no problems and the hardest app I had to get working
was to use Windows messenger. Had to chat LOL

Now there are programs for any thing you can think of

Burt,

My application is for process control, control room environment. We are doing a project in the DRC. My SCADA package is Wonderware ArchestA, interfacing with Rockwell Automation (Allen Bradley PLCs

I would like to keep the control room client computers divorced from the main server equipment and our current design is to use terminal servers into which the clients log into. The SCADA software resides in the terminal servers. I don't know if the Wonderware software will install in a Linux OS. (There's quite a few Microsoft software packages involved to make the SCADA fully functional)

I will start with an investigation soon and even get the guys from Wonderware involved.

Thanks for the reply.

Lol, this thing has better specs than my smartphone!

Hi again,

If these things sell as good as i think they will, we'll probably see better specs in the future too with more ram and stuff.

Mike I have ran a full blown Debian on a ARM 7 that had 32 MB ram and 64 flash and a 1G compact flash drive.

It used half of compact flash drive for swap which to the OS looks like ram and Linux is real good at using swap space.
But there is a lot of changes now programs are bigger. I can see this running real good firefox loads in about 35mb and Linux can swap better then any OS I've used it will be zippy

I have used SD for swap and it's speed is ok programs ran smooth

I had a old P3 700 with 1 G of ram and it was not as fast as the arm7 running Gimp took time to load.

I guess when I get mine I get to see what it can do

But i installed a DVR for video cams in a store that's running a ARM like this and it was amazing how well it worked with video 16 cams and all are nice and clear.

I'm very tempted to order one myself. Looks like a great little tool :D

By the way, welcome back Bill! :)

Newark is going to have some soon. Yep I get mine in 4 months

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm very tempted to order one myself. Looks like a great little tool :D

By the way, welcome back Bill! :)

Thanks but not really back, just lurking on occasion.

I think the Raspberry pi is a amazing deal for the price, but unlike it's website description I don't think it's revolutionary or even that important.

I think the Raspberry pi is a amazing deal for the price, but unlike it's website description I don't think it's revolutionary or even that important.

I've a sneaky suspicion that it wont stay at this low low price for long. Marketing ploy to get them out there...

I've a sneaky suspicion that it wont stay at this low low price for long. Marketing ploy to get them out there...

I have a feeling you're right about that. Better get 'em while they're cheap, huh? :D

I have a feeling you're right about that. Better get 'em while they're cheap, huh? :D

It probably won't help that they have now had to apply for CE (and presumably FCC etc.) testing, as an uncased experimenter board it's exempt, but because many users are buying it as a 'finished product' it's been classed as required.

Newark is showing a 140 day lead time now. I was going to wait till they were in stock but am thinking that maybe that is a bad idea.

I done ordered one from Newark they sent a email saying there sorry but it may be june before I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back