Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

questions about powering leds in large matrix like mikes macmux design

Status
Not open for further replies.
The circuit is just a large version of any cathode row LED matrix 8x96, so that is 12 MIC5891's chained together. that means the clock, strobe, and output enable lines are all chained from one chip to the next from 3 long ~16 foot wires from the arduino. The Rows are driven from yet another 8 pins from the arduino over a shorter 10 inch total distance to the mosfets that cycle through turning on each cathode row one at a time.

The data line however is an input and output from the IC, so the data comes from a 12 inch cord into the first MIC5891 and then from the output pin over another 12 inches to the next MIC5891's input pin.

You need to add buffers in the strobe and enable lines to match the delays in the 5891s and clean up the signals at each stage

How would one go about doing that? Sounds like something I'll be doing after new years so I can make this my living room light/clock.

Another thing. the strobe and enable lines aren't even being used right now.

Last edited:
How would one go about doing that? Sounds like something I'll be doing after new years so I can make this my living room light/clock.

Another thing. the strobe and enable lines aren't even being used right now.
ok.... i've looked at the chip spec... you have a sluggish, preterminated chip that does not require data line terminations... break the clock and the strobe lines and add buffer gates between. it should then work if all your timings are ok.

Always remember, when things don't work, to check the easiest things to check first! This will eliminate things in a way that allows you to keep your sanity!

for the P up and running fully, still have signal data issues, but that will be a project for the coming months after new years. Right now I'm working on very little sleep, very little. And I am trouble shooting the F, it is wired up, but for some reason the lights stop working after the first output of the 4th shift register. So we have done the easy checking, now we are tracing wires. But I needed a break, so we went to sleep (3 am?) and I've been up, double checking the easy stuff on my own for a bit now.

Anyhow..... here's a nice picture we made last night showing off our t-shirts we made.

**broken link removed**

If you'd like to see our website and any info associated with our party tomorrow, go to **broken link removed** This website is geared towards showing weird artistry stuff, and promoting our parties. - this is mostly a warning for those who scroll down and see the annoying images one of our independent photographers posted a couple of days back... I couldn't get it censored, everyone was like "everyone knows mike, he's a photographer, this is just photography"

lol, enough of that rant, democracy is a ***** sometimes....

**broken link removed**

Finally finished. Found some unsolder-ed IC pins. Check it out!

This is my shimmering function, basically I'm sending data so fast it looks controlled, haha, but it isn't. We have a lot of trouble-shooting to do in the coming weeks..

Attachments

• IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 238
Last edited by a moderator:
Success!

Ok after days of hangover recovery, I am awaiting video from the hd video guy.

here is a nice B&W photo from one of the many photographers there:

10876-fan plan 2011 097.jpg
Parachute Full Of Forks: FANTASTIC PLANET NEW YEARS EXTRAVAGANZA! PT. 1: THE BLACK AND WHITES

after sending it on it's second rough Uhual drive back to my apartment and carrying it up the back staircase, we found now the ATX PSU does not work...

So before I can diagnose signal issues with my o-scope I have to replace the power supply.... again... power supplys dead so far: 2

Making me wonder if I should even use an ATX PSU. I think I am going to get something better. any ideas?

more:

10877-fan plan 2011 096.jpg

Last edited:
here's some more photos:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

that girl in the second photo danced on that sign like it was a stripper pole, all night. it was funny!

more photos here: **broken link removed**

Big thanks to NoahLarmz.com for sponsoring this build! I still have to work out tons of kinks, but I suppose I will start a new thread soon enough to explain in detail, with schematics how this thing works, which is pretty simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back