Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question for the Oscilloscope Experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
With stripboard, you cut the strips. These **broken link removed** terminals can be used to attach resistors. There is an insertion tool that doesn't destroy the terminal when inserted into 0.042 holes.

www.proto-advantage.com makes surface mount to DIP adapters, so you can breadboard with SMT components They wil even solder an SMT component to it if it's digikey part number.

You can also modularize your circuits: e.g. front-end filter, etc.

PS:
I suggest you change your PostScript of "breathing the smoke of burned circuits" to "Breathing the Magic Smoke"
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke

I make 'Magic Smoke'. It's very toxic so don't breathe it..

Last edited:
With stripboard, you cut the strips. These **broken link removed** terminals can be used to attach resistors. There is an insertion tool that doesn't destroy the terminal when inserted into 0.042 holes.

www.proto-advantage.com makes surface mount to DIP adapters, so you can breadboard with SMT components They wil even solder an SMT component to it if it's digikey part number.

You can also modularize your circuits: e.g. front-end filter, etc.

PS:
I suggest you change your PostScript of "breathing the smoke of burned circuits" to "Breathing the Magic Smoke"
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke

Hi KISS,

Those 2 links are really great. Thanks a lot. In the " Proto-Advantage " Page they even have what I was looking for. Complete assortments of capacitors, resistor, etc. That is what I had trouble finding here in Mexico.

:wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed:

On stripboard only one wire is soldered in a hole then it is easy to desolder a part to replace it or change a resistor or capacitor value.
Here is an example:

Attachments

• Veroboard.PNG
    Veroboard.PNG
    357.3 KB · Views: 236
Desolder them and solder the new again into it ?

Yes, it's simple to do so - bear in mind you shouldn't be randomly guessing at values, the circuit should be designed and calculated correctly before you ever touch a soldering iron, so you should only need to 'tweak' an odd value or two.

I'm with AG, no breadboards and no simulations.

the circuit should be designed and calculated correctly

And there is the main problem for me as I am not an Electronics Engineer ...

:( :( :( :( :(

and so far as it looks I will let this project just go and try to find a commercial solution ...

I give up

Thanks everybody for your help, tips, comments, etc. and as some people were talking here about methane, poison and farts ...

Maybe I just had a a big " Brain Fart " :confused: :confused: :confused:

Will be back when I have another project in mind ... or so far I have read a book about how to design circuits ...

Bye Bye and thank you my friends

I have never experimented with electronic parts by randomly burning them all out. Occasionally a circuit I designed did not work properly because the decimal point slipped for the value of a capacitor or resistor but the error was easily found and corrected.
I know a little about cars but I never tried to make one. I go to a car dealership, see what they have and say, "I will take that one over there". It is best to buy what you need if you can not design it.

BTW: For the OEM's board,
U1B - signal conditioner
U1A - Vref or rail splitter
U2A - Looks like some gain, summer and roll-off stage
U?B - Buffer - Analog out
U3 - Switching regulator

The 5V regulator you can replace with lots of stuff. I could probably find a 3 terminal switching regulator.
The compactor isn't needed either, but it's useful.

Why not, just try to build the OEM;s circuit one piece at a time? I think I can find a simpler 5V power supply.

I have never experimented with electronic parts by randomly burning them all out. Occasionally a circuit I designed did not work properly because the decimal point slipped for the value of a capacitor or resistor but the error was easily found and corrected.
I know a little about cars but I never tried to make one. I go to a car dealership, see what they have and say, "I will take that one over there". It is best to buy what you need if you can not design it.

I understand, but I am one of those that if he needs a special car starts to think how to make even if it is available in the market and even if it means reinventing the wheel or discovering the black yarn or inventing the hot water again :arghh:

There is a huge difference between you and me. You are a studied and qualified Electronic Engineer, at least i read that out of your answer, and I am an interested person in learning a little bit trough out my life and as a young boy I once built a radio during my high school time using bulbs under the guidance of the teacher and since them I never forgot that experience and it never did really let me go.

By the way I developed the whole wiring and mechanical logic for my observatory for being remote controlled. Look at the images below. I even thought how to measure the current, (peanuts for you but not for me until I found the logic how to do it), of the connected devices in order to know if they are working or not, I went from the point that measuring voltage was a nonsense as the device could be connected but if it is not drawing current it is not working. So I made manually a simple current loop detector or whatever it is called.

Yes right but that is no fun. I once made a amplifier using the INA122P for building a cloud detector and that worked. I searched the internet how to do it and it is working. The thing at the end of the red pipe

RS-AllSky-23.jpg

BTW the grey case is a custom made 180° All Sky camera also made by me.

Below you can see some of the wiring working in my Observatory

ControlBoxPier-01.jpg ObsRemoteControlBord-01.jpg ROR-18.jpg

Gee...I thought you were making progress. Maybe it's just time to take a short break?

Yes KISS, time to count to ten and start reading a bit about opamps, Low and High pass filters, Band pass filters, pre amplifiers and end stage amplifiers, play around with formulas for RC components etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for the heads up. People like you make me go on ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back