Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Stereo audio cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadewar01

Hi kind of new around here.
I was wondering if there is a difference between 3.5mm audio cables.
Say i wanted to hook up my headset to my computers microphone jack, would i be able to use just any regular aux cable for this or am i looking for a special kind of cable?
I've tried repairing and old mic cable by splicing it with a 3.5mm stereo audio cable and didn't get it to work at all.
At this point im trying to buy a new cable but can't figure out exactly the specifications i need.
The headset also doesn't come with a regular mic cable. It's using an optical cable for the surround sound and uses a completely different cable for the Mic.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if there is a difference between 3.5mm audio cables.
For a start there's mono cables and stereo cables.
any regular aux cable
Cables vary according to the aux device.
A screened mono cable would suit a standard computer's microphone jack, but clearly isn't what you have on your mic. If this is just for Skype use or similar it would probably be easier to buy an el-cheapo standard headset.

Really confused here:

OP said:
Say i wanted to hook up my headset to my computers microphone jack

Let's just say you want to connect the headset to the computer. So far, so good.

Step 1: What kind of input/output does the headset have?

Step 2: For reference: The computer uses Stereo miniature phone plugs. They will have three distict ares to make contact. Those plugs also some in a mono version. Various adapters are available. The same type is used for the mic and headphones.

Step 3: For reference: Headphone come in low impeadance (8 ohms) and high impeadance (Around 600 ohms) The computer uses the High Z variety.

Step 4: For reference: Shielded cables should be used for the mic. The shield coverage comes in units of percent and it comes in braid or foil. Foil will not be as flexible.

Step 5: For reference: Some mics are powered. Especially Electret mics. They can be "Phantom powered". No specific power connection.

Step 5: We need to know something about your headphones. If the headphones have a 1/4" phone plug and you use them for your stereo, most likely they won't work.

Step 6: Link to the specs or model of your headset. I need the types of plugs used and the specifications of the mic and phones.

The reference to an optical cable, probably TOSLink means we are dealing with something unusual.

Take a look at the back panel of this device: **broken link removed** It kinda gives you an idea of audio signal varieties.

Here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones it does say for 10-32 and 100- 600 ohm headsets for headsets. I belive the PC uses the high Z ones.

I belive the PC uses the high Z ones.
My Vaio laptop, desktop amd Galaxy tablet all work happily with low Z headphones. Haven't tried high Z (don't have any). Most domestic (i.e. low-priced) small headphones I've come across are around 32Ω and use standard screened stereo cable. The OP's headset certainly seems unusual.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses.

The Headset is self powered, including the mic, it has it's own power supply it is a high quality gaming headset.
The specific model is the Tritton AX Pro. Here is the link to the specs.
trittonaudio.com/prod/axpro.asp
It uses a digital audio box which i hook the optical cable into directly from the back panel of my tower.
I do use a cheapo headset for skype and what not. I'm trying to to get rid of having to switch back and forth from my cheap version to my high quality audio headset,
like to talk at the same time that im hearing high quality surround sound.
The company does sell an adapter that let's me hook up the headset to the analog audio jacks to my back panel, but this isn't exactly what im trying to accomplish.
Trying to stay purely digital here.

Just trying to find the right cable to be able to hook up the Mic specific part so i can make good use of it instead of having a mic attached to the headset and not use it.

Last edited:
On further inspection i kind of just put my foot in my mouth, looked at my digital box and noticed a whole panel that lets me hook up my Mic to my pc through USB. My bad guys, classic case of being blonde i suppose.
I do appreciate the quick comments and answers though. Was really helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back