1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Pwm resolution concept

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers' started by elecLear78, Jun 1, 2017.

1. elecLear78

elecLear78 Member

Iam bit confused with pwm resolution in pic controllers. Generally i am using the following equation to calculate ptper reguster
    Frequency of clock/ pwm frequency = ptper value. The duty cycle is loaded based on the value of ptper value

Pdc = ptper * duty cycle / 100.
    Now my confusion is the pwm resolution. What exactly is this, should i calculate everytime. Please advise.

2. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

Try to think of it this way...

- Timer 2 will count until it equals PR2 and then it starts again this is the frequency..

- CCPRxL combined with the two DCB bits in the CCPxCON determine when the pin is high or low..

- If Timer 2 < CCPRxL + DCB1+DCB2 then the pin is high otherwise the pin is low...

The best explanation is in the pic12f1840 datasheet....

Don't let the register name upset you... These are the original names...

Once the ptper (PR2 ) is set and the Timer is configured... All you need to change is the CCPRxL ( OCxR) register.

What chip are you actually using...

3. jpanhalt

jpanhalt Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Resolution is the number of steps (e.g., duty cycle values) allowed between the lowest value (often 0% ) and the highest value (often or close to 100%).

This site will calculate the register values and show how many resolution bits there will be in the results.
    http://www.micro-examples.com/public/microex-navig/doc/097-pwm-calculator.html

John

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. hugo

hugo New Member

You can think of resolution like the number of segments needed for the 'period' of time, so for 10 bit there are 1024 segments.
    A 50% duty cycle means that for 512 segments the signal is on and for 512 segments is off.

6. elecLear78

elecLear78 Member

Ok Thank you very much, now i can understand.

7. MikeMl

MikeMl Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

If you perfectly low-pass filter the PWM signal to a DC level, and the PIC is powered with 5.000Vcc, then you get 1023 = ((2^10)-1) equal steps from 0V to 5.000V*1023/1024 = 4.995V. The step size is 4.995V/1023 = 0.00488V

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  8. MikeMl

MikeMl Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Hello Pradeep. Your question should really be posted in its own (new) thread; not appended to an existing thread which discusses a different topic...

In LTSpice, there is a generic multi-winding transformer model which can be customized with a few parameters. I dont know how to do that in Proteus.

9. Pradeep kumar Dharkar

Pradeep kumar Dharkar New Member

Thank you Mike Mi