Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pulsed LED - DC Amplification

Status
Not open for further replies.

biomed_dude

I am pulsing an LED using a digital input with my DAQ box outputting 5V at 1KHz and 5% duty cycle (is this considered a DC signal?) In order to drive a constant current into the LED, I am using a simple BJT current mirror that is powered by 20V. If the output of my DAQ box is 5V, can I amplify my signal to 20V using a simple non-inverting amplifier with an LM324 op amp? Basically, my set-up is DAQ box > Amplifier > Current Mirror (with LED as load).

Your signal is 'pulsed' or AC but not DC.
I am glad you are using a current source.
1khz 5% = 50uS. The LM324 can only change it output 0.5 volts/us. That's 5V/10uS, 20V/40uS. Well that too fast for a LM324.
Why 20 volts? What type of LED. A red LED might need only 1.5V or a white LED needs 3V. I think you can power the LED from you 5V.

Your vision sees a light at full brightness when its duration is 30ms or more. Your 50us duration is much lower so it will look very dim.

First you say you are pulsing the LED then you say it has a constant current (but you don't say how much current) so I am confused about what is driving the LED.
50us duration constant current pulses at 1kHz?

Increasing the supply voltage to the constant current mirror will not increase the current nor the brightness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back