Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Proteus - mission impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

masster

Hello
I am trying to design in ISIS the impossibility(?) below. Power and ground should be supplied to 4001 IC only by closing the two switches and not by default. Looks simple, but looks may be deceiving. Please give me a hand if you know how to make it work.
Cheers
751012ce6526.jpg

What exactly is the problem you're facing?

I am not sure if it's my spelling (I am not American) but basically I want to circumvent the default assignment of hidden power rail pins so I can switch on power to IC only AFTER closing the two switches.

Could use a little more clarity of purpose...

ISIS hides the power pins by default. masster would like to manually connect switches to these pins.

masster , to my knowledge there is no way to display these pins. However, there is a workaround. I only have Proteus 7, so if you have 8 it may be a little different. In mine, I do the following:

Add your component as you normally would. Each gate is added separately to the schematic, so to simulate an entire chip, simply lay down four gates.
Create two new nets containing your power source or ground and their corresponding switches. Take a note of the name of the nets.
Right-click on one of the gates and select "edit properties".
Click "Hidden pins"

In this window you will be asked to select a net to connect the hidden pins to. Instead of tying them directly to Vss and Vdd, simply put in the names of the nets that you noted earlier.

This should connect Vss and Vdd of the chip to your switches/source contacts.

Hope you can follow this and that it helps you!

Regards,
Matt

What is the purpose of switching both pins? That seems redundant. It will also give strange results if only the power pin is switched and not the ground pin.

Matt,
Thank you for reply. I am not sure about the last steps of your solution. So I created the circuit and attached it. Can you fill it for me, please?
Cheers

Attachments

• HIDDEN.ZIP
    12.8 KB · Views: 272
I will take a look. I was going through the steps I sent you and I think I was picturing Eagle when I mentioned naming the nets. I will look at your design and see if I can get it set up correctly, and then I will tell you how to do it.

This may take a little while, though I'll work as fast as I can.

Regards,
Matt

Hello,

I'm still looking but have not found anything yet. It appears it does not work the way I thought it did. I'll keep searching to see if I can turn up an answer.

Matt

If it is like spice you need the models that will let you assign voltages. Will ltspice models work in your program?

I was expecting to be a very straightforward solution for my problem, but looks may be deceiving, Oh well... I will assume for now it's mission impossible.

I was expecting to be a very straightforward solution for my problem, but looks may be deceiving, Oh well... I will assume for now it's mission impossible.

Oops, I guess I forgot to post back here. So far I still have not found a method that works. I'm afraid you may have to try a different method of doing what you need to do.

Good luck,
Matt

Could you modify your design to use level translators? With a lot of them when any supply is not present, the revert to a Hi Z state. It may be better overall.

Ok, let me explain how I ended up opening this thread. I have this instrument cluster from my car and its schematic wasn't available from the manufacturer. So I reversed engineered the schematic from the PCB. On the board there is a circuit that alerts the driver in case he forgot to turn off the headlights before stepping down from the vehicle. That alarm circuit is using one HEF4001B, some passives and a transistor that drives a buzzer. The alarm sounds when two conditions are met: headlights on, which feeds +12V to VDD of 4001, and driver's door open, which feeds GND to VSS of 4001. So I wanted to simulate that circuit in Proteus. That proved to be an impossibility.

Conclusion: it is not about doing a new design, it is factory made. It is a specific question about simulating that circuit, exactly as it is, in Proteus.

LTSpice from Linear Technology is free, but it might not help either.

That's exactly what I did in 1982. Just wired a buzzer between headlight +12 and ground of the drivers door switch through a diode OR. One diode was factory.

I have a set of models for spice that lets me switch Vcc, but not ground. Might save you looking.:banghead:

masster , do you know how to create/edit model packages in Proteus? You can create a new copy of the existing gate, but instead of choosing to have the power pins hidden, you can choose to have them visible. It's a bit of a roundabout method to do it, but I think it could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back