Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming PIC18 using function blocks and a graphical IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
DEAR LOURENS,
I use this software and find very easy to use .but i want plz add more micro controller and avr micro controller like atmega8,16.32,644 also
thanks

DEAR LOURENS,
I use this software and find very easy to use .but i want plz add more micro controller and avr micro controller like atmega8,16.32,644 also
thanks
Noreen, I am a hobbyist and use only PIC's. So I have no plans to include avr,s. Might I ask why you want to use the program on other micros? VPS is very efficient and you can add lots of I/O. Speed is also very good. I have had 7 PID's running at 20mSec, each with a second order plant simulator including about 50 logic blocks and the load was about 27%.

Hi Lourens,
Thanks for reply. I want to tel you VPS_P18 is good and better choice for easy and quick programming for pic18 controller .As you told you are hobbyist and use only PIC's. So Plz add some pic chip like pic18f2550 ,pic18f4550,pic18f4620 and maybe pic16f876and 77 because these chips easy available.
And plz give some examples of LCD and eeprom of controller .For simulator of program is need some improvement like show lcd display on simulator .If you cheack this web site www.parsicitalia.it/ . This program is look like VPS_P18 and simulator is some diffrent plz make your simulator is like this.By the way sir your program is better then Visual Parsic V4 . thanks again

Hi Noreen, glad you find vps helpful. As for using other pic chips - in vps select the 4520 and compile your program. Then use the generated .hex file and load it into your 4550 chip (or use proteus) to see if it will work. I am planning to add the pic18f47j13 family to vps and provide function blocks to make use of the additional peripherals...... but that will only be towards the year end. About LCD (I assume you refer to the character based type) and eeprom (again I assume you refer the pic internal data eeprom). For LCD have a look at documentation for FB142, 143, 145, 146, 147,148. For eeprom look at documentation for FB45 - 52.
I know about Parsic and have heard good things about it, but have not tried it. If you have some suggestions how to improve vps simulator you must give more particulars. Have you had a look at the documents in C:\LLG_CB\DOCUMENTATION ? Also keep in mind I plan to start soon with an application manual for VPS_P18 so code snippets from users will be appreciated.
Regards, Lourens

Dear LOURENS,
WHEN Application manual for VPS_P18 so code snippets is upload. I am waiting for it.I have some suggestions to improve vps program and simulator.
1 PLZ improve Line tool .It is not easy to make a line vertical and horizonte . plz make it easy
2 PLz add some pic more like 18f2550 ,pic18f4550,pic18f4620 and maybe pic16f876and 77 pic16f88 ,pic16f676 and some other.Because if we need simple project we use for it instead costly pic like 18f.
3For simulator of program is need some improvement like show lcd display on simulator
4 PLz see the parsic site once and get demo from there .It will help to improve vps program and simulator .
5 PLZ try to make this program for some cost because your time is not free
hopefully i get good ans soon
THANKS

Hi Noreen, I have had no feedback from users(if there are any?) of VPS about code snippets so the Application Manual is none existing.
1 The Line Tool is the best I can do! Are you using the shortcut keys? Esc place you in Select mode (Crosshair cursor). I (or i) place you into Line Insert mode (slanted/default cursor)
and E (or e) will place you into Line Edit mode (vertical arrow cursor) In Line Insert mode mouse left button down where you want line to start and then drag to where you want it to end. Release mouse (do not move mouse) Now mouse left button down and you can continue existing line direction or move mouse up or down for vertical line.
2 See my reply #31 above about using 18f2550 or 18f4550. As for the pic16f....To port the macro libraries to cater for the 16f will be very difficult for me as the addressing of these latter chips
does not lend it to use the design approach I used for accessing variables. The money you save by not paying for VPS you can use to buy 18f instead of 16f:)
3 I was thinking of adding an LCD animation - currently busy with more pressing things...
4 My intention is not to duplicate the functionality in Parsic but rather to provide an IDE with tools to suit my requirements, and of course that of other hobbyist. I am open to suggestion
but then you will have to describe "improvements" in more detail.
5. If I charge money for VPS I will be slave to all users, if I give it for free users are indebted to me. You pay me by sending suggestions and code snippets for that Application Manual.
Regards, Lourens

Reactions: jjw
Hi,

I thought about this kind of thing a while back too and decided to go with just 'inventing' a higher level language that could take care of all the little details instead of a graphical interface. I can see there is great value however in a graphical interface, as long as it works right.

There are two basic requirements to a graphical interface. First is it has to compile the code correctly, and second it has to show the timing so that we can trace loop times. If it can do at least that, it could be very nice to work with. Higher level math functions would be nice too that allow working with arbitrary length variable sizes.

MrAl, My career was in the process industry where the graphical programming approach is very often used, so being familiar with using function blocks I applied it to my hobby applications and build up a very handy library of assembler marcos . Application documentation became a problem and having decided to get familiar with .net thought it a good idea to attempt an IDE, which resulted in what I now called VPS.
Having a set of well tested routines is important for correct compilation, and as you stated, timing is important. My approach was to use a code/task scheduler with time activated tasks (user selectable at compile time) and some 'loop activated' tasks. Function blocks that require timed execution can only be assigned to time tasks. Parameters (say I and D for a PID) is automatically adjusted depending on the task execution time selected. If you install VPS the complete library assembly source is available to you. For the pic18 fans I have available a document saying something about the task scheduler.
So come on bite the bullet - start with your 'invention'. Mine was, and still is a he.. of a ride.

Hi again,

Well in my case i think there are other high level languages out there, i just didnt want to have to pay for one :)
Also, i like being able to tailor the program to my own liking which is hard to do with a commercial product of any kind.

Hi Noreen, the Application manual for VPS is non-existent. I was hoping to make this document from code snippets received from users like you! There are a few examples/application notes in C:\LLG_CB\DOCUMENTATION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back