Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming Atmega16 with USB ASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmonavt

I am using this programmer:

http://www.protostack.com/accessories/usbasp-avr-programmer

I can't seem to understand how to burn the .hex file to the MCU. I have made the AVR to ISP connector with a piece of veroboard.

How do I burn the code using AVRdude? I am using Windows 7 64 bit. Do I need to install those libusb drivers first?

Do we first connect the MCU to the programmer or the programmer to the PC?

Any help is highly appreciated.

No, the AVR Studio only works with Atmel programmers, not USB ASP. I have to use a third party software to program with USB ASP. AVRDUDE 5.2 and greater supports it but no idea how to go about it.

Yes, I installed those libasp drivers but still when I connect the device Windows does not seem to recognize it.

What's with COM1 and COM2, etc? I have it plugged it in a USB port. How do I know which COM port it corresponds to? And do you first hook the Programmer to the PC or to the MCU when you have to program it? Does it really matter which thing you plug in first?

Read the chip on the programmer.... Has it a USB converter on board or is it direct to a micro? What does the installation page say! you need to install the drivers manually..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back