Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems with TIMER0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winch

Dear all,

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this code?
I try to create a time delay of one minute. Instead, I get three seconds?
I can not figure out the error?

I use the software Oshonsoft! (basic)

Code:
'DEVICE 12F675

Define CONFIG = 0x3184
AllDigital                    'alle ports digital

'parameters analoge ingang.
Define ADC_CLOCK = 3                    'resolutie 8 bits
Define ADC_SAMPLEUS = 50                    'sample time 5

'poortnamen
Symbol buzzer = GPIO.2                    'BUZZER is connected to port GPIO.2
Symbol irled = GPIO.4                    'IR LED is connected to port GPIO.4
Symbol led = GPIO.5                    'LED is connected to port GPIO.5

'variabelen declareren
Dim spanning As Byte                    'voltage as variable "Byte" (here the measured analog value)
Dim var_timer As Byte                    'variable "TIMER" value "As Byte"
Dim timer_limite As Byte                    '"TIMER" limite "As Byte"
Dim timer As Byte                    'higher variable timer setting "As Byte"
Dim puls As Bit                    'puls is turned as "1"
Dim puls_2 As Bit                    'puls_2 is turned as "1"

INTCON.GIE = 0                    'Disables all unmasked interrupts make sure by start that Interrupt = 0

'543210
GPIO = %000000                    'outputs at start are low-level
TRISIO = %001011                    'GPIO.0 is set as input, GPIO.2, GPIO,4 en GPIO.5 is set as output

'76543210
ADCON0 = %00000001                    'bit0 as a/d geselecteerd, CHS1:CHS0 bit 3-2 are selected as AN0
ANSEL = %00000001                    'ANS0 (leg 7) is set as "analog input" connected the IR FILTER

'The INTCON register is a readable and writable register, which contains the various Enable And flag bits For TMR0 register overflow,
'GPIO port change And external GP2 / int pin interrupts.

INTCON.GIE = 1                    'Enables all unmasked interrupts
INTCON.T0IE = 1                    'Enables the TMR0 interrupt (TMR0 Overflow Interrupt Enable bit)
INTCON.T0IF = 1                    'TMR0 register has overflowed (must be cleared in software)

'The OPTION register is a readable And writable register, which contains various control bits To configure:
'TMR0/wdt prescaler 'external GP2/int Interrupt 'TMR0 'weak pull - ups On GPIO

OPTION_REG.INTEDG = 0                    'Interrupt on falling edge of GP2/INT pin
OPTION_REG.T0CS = 0                    'Internal instruction cycle clock (CLKOUT)
OPTION_REG.T0SE = 0                    'Increment on low-to-high transition on GP2/T0CKI pin
OPTION_REG.PSA = 0                    'Prescaler is assigned to the TIMER0 module
OPTION_REG.PS0 = 0                    'Set the prescaler
OPTION_REG.PS1 = 1                    'to increment TMR0
OPTION_REG.PS2 = 1                    'every 128th instruction cycle

TMR0 = 0                    'Clear TMR0 initially, (reset de timer0 module register)

var_timer = 0                    'variable waarde van de timer is 0
timer = 0                    'set timer to 0

run:
timer_limite = 61                    'intern klok (1mhz / (128 * 128)) give pulse afther every 1 seconden

If var_timer > timer_limite Then                    'when var_timer is greater than timer_limite (61) than ...
        var_timer = 0                    'set var_timer back to 0
        puls = 1
    Endif

If puls = 1 Then
        timer = timer + 1                    'increase timer by 1
        If timer > 60 Then led = 1                    'if timer is greater then 60 then.....
    Endif

Goto run

End                    'end program            

'Interrupt
    On Interrupt                    'Interrupt timer
        Save System                    'Save
        var_timer = var_timer + 1                    'increment var_timer
        INTCON.T0IF = 0                    'clear Interrupt flag
    Resume                    'jump back where it started

If your timer is on the 1:128 prescale then 256 * 128 * 1nS is definitely not 1 minute..

The largest number is on the 8 bit timer0 is... 256 * 256 * 1nS = 65,5mS If you use this you only get 3 seconds.

Use a milli counter inside your interrupt..... Use the same setup but load TMR0 with 99.... This yeilds 20mS so a count of 5 will give you a 1 second count..
Initialize TMRO with 99

Then load the timer each interrupt and increase "milli" 5 times... Then increase the seconds....

It is running too fast because the variable puls is 1 after first 61 runs of the loop and stays there.
It should be set to 0 after label "run:"
What is the clock frequency of the PIC?
If it is 4MHz, I think timer0 should be set to 128 +- few cycles in the interrupt routine.
Now it runs too slow.

Dear JJW,

If I do that then it will never start? (It should be set to 0 after label "run:")
Or I do not understand your explanation.
Can you show me in code please.
Clock frequency is 4MHz. Prescaler now is 1:128

Use a milli counter inside your interrupt..... Use the same setup but load TMR0 with 99.... This yeilds 20mS so a count of 5 will give you a 1 second count..
Initialize TMRO with 99
Then load the timer each interrupt and increase "milli" 5 times... Then increase the seconds....

What do you mean white a milli counter inside the interrupt? I need some more explanation.
I thought I had it under control but now I'm even further from home. :(

Dear all,

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this code?
I try to create a time delay of one minute. Instead, I get three seconds?
I can not figure out the error?

I use the software Oshonsoft! (basic)

Code:
'DEVICE 12F675

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

run:
timer_limite = 61                    'intern klok (1mhz / (128 * 128)) give pulse afther every 1 seconden  
                                                     '  <<< This is better be before the run loop

puls=0                                        '  <<<<<<<  ADD THIS

If var_timer > timer_limite Then                    'when var_timer is greater than timer_limite (61) than ...
        puls = 1
    Endif

If puls = 1 Then                         '  <<<< This should be run only when timer>61, now it runs after one second every time when looping here
        If timer > 60 Then led = 1                    'if timer is greater then 60 then.....
    Endif

Goto run

'Interrupt

TMR0=128  + x               '  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<        x = cycles it has been running from the beginning of the interrupt
                                                   '  <<<<<<<<<<<  Without this the interrupt frequency is 1MHz/128/256 = two times too slow

Thanks JJW,

It works.
But now I have a problem! I do not know what I'm doing! That is the painful conclusion.
What does that TMR0 exactly? Unfortunately that is not clear to me now.
Please, would you explain me that again.

Thanks

I untherstand that it was smarter to change the sentence "timer = timer + 1" in the above Aliana!
So I did.
But the TMR0 is still not clear to me.

Thanks in advance.

PHP:
var_timer = 0                    'variable waarde van de timer is 0
timer = 0                    'set timer to 0
timer_limite = 61                    'intern klok (1mhz / (128 * 128)) give pulse afther every 1 second

run:
puls = 0

puls = 1
    Endif

puls = 1
        If timer > 10 Then
        led = 1                    'if timer is greater then 60 then.....
    Endif

Goto run

'Interrupt
        TMR0 = 128

Timer0 is
Thanks JJW,

It works.
But now I have a problem! I do not know what I'm doing! That is the painful conclusion.
What does that TMR0 exactly? Unfortunately that is not clear to me now.
Please, would you explain me that again.

Thanks
Timer0 is just an 8-bit counter.
It's clock input comes from system clock ( oscillator frequency / 4 ) possibly divided by the prescaler.
It counts upwards and can generate an interrupt when it goes from 255 to zero
In your program ( first uncorrect version ) it generated an interrupt at frequency 4MHz/( 4*128*256 ) ~ 30.5 Hz
When timer0 is set to 128 in the interrupt routine, it counts from 128 to 255 and the interrupt frequency is ~ 61Hz.
Your program counts the number of interrupts and when it is 61 ( actually your program counts 62, from 0 to 61 ) it increments the seconds counter.

Sorry winch! I wasn't paying enough attention last night...
What do you mean white a milli counter inside the interrupt? I need some more explanation.
I thought I had it under control but now I'm even further from home. :(

I now see you have var_timer AND timer as your variables.... I didn't see the two variables....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back