Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with MPLAB 8.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulF

I am a NUBE am in the process of trying to complete a Tutorial. I have a run into problem with MPLAB 8.00. In save project and build all an Error appears and I do not get a build. When double clicking on the error it shows the arrow just below end. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

processor 16f84a
include p16f84a.inc
__config _HS_OSC & _WDT_OFF & _PWRTE_ON
movlw D'5'
clrw
nop
end

Error[173] Source file path exceeds 62 characters

PaulF said:
Error[173] Source file path exceeds 62 characters
I've seen that one. The file path to your source file or other file getting used by your project is too long. Too long of filenames can cause it. Files too deep in the directory structure (too many characters in the filespec) can cause it.

Find a way to keep it shorter and you'll be in business.

Microchip should fix that. It's very very annoying and not difficult to fix.

I generally keep all such files directly in d:\
and thus avoid this error. It is nothing to do with ver8.0. all versions have this issue.

As Futz indicated, let us hope that Microchip resolves the issue in their next version at least.

Yep, one of the first errors I got, especially annoying if you want to stay faithfull to M$ "My Documents" structure.

UTMonkey said:
Yep, one of the first errors I got, especially annoying if you want to stay faithfull to M$ "My Documents" structure.

Well basically Microsoft don't do long filenames, it's just a bodge to make their short filenames look like they are long ones. Presumably MPLAB is still a 16 bit application?, so doesn't have the bodged long filenames that the 32 bit applications provide?.

Thanks to all of your inputs I was able to cure the problem by moving the folder from the Documents Folder to the C Drive as c:\PIC. Everything works great. Again thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back