Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Press-n-Peel PCB problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copper Cleaner

Great job Mark!
{snip}
As to etching, the most important step is preparation: clean the board. I used comet cleanser, and made sure to rinse it throughly.
{snip}
If you don't mind me asking, what program do you use to layout your boards?

-Bill

Bill, I am jumping in here because I am also a believer in using just a copper cleaner, mine is made for cleaning (and polishing) bottom of copper plated pots.
Does really quick work, then just a rinse and a wipe with a paper towel till dry.
The rest of the hi tech is an old steam iron, no problems when using P-N-P, of cause you have to get the temp correct.

For my layout I use ExpressPCB, it is free and fairly intuitive, so it is easy to learn.

Bill, I am jumping in here because I am also a believer in using just a copper cleaner, mine is made for cleaning (and polishing) bottom of copper plated pots.
Does really quick work, then just a rinse and a wipe with a paper towel till dry.
The rest of the hi tech is an old steam iron, no problems when using P-N-P, of cause you have to get the temp correct.

For my layout I use ExpressPCB, it is free and fairly intuitive, so it is easy to learn.

Thanks Rolf, I'll try the copper cleaner.

I haven't made a pcb since 1996, and at that time I had a good handle on how hot to set the iron and how long to apply it. I think I put a towel between the PNP & the iron. I guess it'll come back to me.

I'll try ExpressPCB too.

Thank you sir!

Where did you buy the drill press? Got a good source for the bits, too?

The drill press I picked up at Big Lots, still see them there occasionally.

Drill Bits-The Electronic Goldmine
The usually have a box of 50 on sale for $25. Been a few years since I've even thought to look. The box I've got will likely last a lifetime at the rate I'm going through them. Best to get the assortment pack, and see which sizes are best suited to your needs. I use one slightly larger than needed for passive leads, gives a little wiggle room for ICs, and only rarely need to enlarge holes (pots and switches).

Process

Thanks Rolf, I'll try the copper cleaner.

I haven't made a pcb since 1996, and at that time I had a good handle on how hot to set the iron and how long to apply it. I think I put a towel between the PNP & the iron. I guess it'll come back to me.

I'll try Express PCB too.

Thank you sir!

The temp. should be 300°F +/- 25°
Place a section of newspaper under the PCB, to insulate the heat and a clean peace of copy paper on top of the PCB - P-N-P sandwich to make the iron glide smoothly. Make sure the iron travels so its center contacts all of the board for even heat. 3 minutes does it. Run cold water over it for a few seconds and peal the P-N-P.
I'll be glad to talk you about it on Skype, anytime.

Last edited:
I use the free version of Eagle. It's not so simple as ExpressPCB, and would take you more time to learn, but you'll be able to do more with it, and if you want to use a boardhouse other than ExpressPCB to do a professional PCB, it will output Gerber files. Some board manufacturers will take straight Eagle output files as well. There's plenty of web tutorials if you Google them.

CadSoft Online: EAGLE Layout Editor

For prep, it's just scotchbrite and a bit of alcohol for me.

The drill press I picked up at Big Lots, still see them there occasionally.

Drill Bits-The Electronic Goldmine
The usually have a box of 50 on sale for $25. Been a few years since I've even thought to look. The box I've got will likely last a lifetime at the rate I'm going through them. Best to get the assortment pack, and see which sizes are best suited to your needs. I use one slightly larger than needed for passive leads, gives a little wiggle room for ICs, and only rarely need to enlarge holes (pots and switches).

Thanks! The used ones for $2 bucks looks like a steal. I still have 2 or 3 that I bought at this hardware store in Oxford Michigan (I used one of them to drill out the pcs in the picture), but I always felt that they were just slightly too large. The shaft on them was too thin, not like the ones in the picture on the EG site.

In the box I found, I have 2 bottles of Radio Shack etchant. They're 13-14 years old. Should I trash them?

Eagle is my choice as well. It would be difficult to use a program without schematic capture.

I use a schotchbrite and dawn dish soap.

If you have never tried a laminator you should give it a try.

The ferric chloride etchant should still be good.

Harbor Freight has the table top drill presses. The go on sale every few months for about $30 or $40.

Last edited:
Eagle is my choice as well. It would be difficult to use a program without schematic capture.

I use a schotchbrite and dawn dish soap.

If you have never tried a laminator you should give it a try.

The ferric chloride etchant should still be good.

Harbor Freight has the table top drill presses. The go on sale every few months for about $30 or $40.

Harbor Freight. I'm writing this down. Thank you!

I'll shake up the etchant real good.

By laminator, are you talking about those decals Radio Shack has that you physically lay out on the copper?

Oh...you mean the Scotch Brite. What's the advantage of that?

In fact, I'm remembering now...I think I started by giving the pcb a light sanding, then cleaned it.

The laminator we are talking about is a heated roller setup used to laminate paper or cardboard between plastic. Instead of ironing you run the PCB through the laminator a few times.

There has been some progress in toner transfer. I like the PulsarProFx system others go for Press and Peel (P&P).

The pulsar paper is coated with a starch that turns to slime when wet. The paper floats off the PCB in about a minute. It seems this also allows for a finer line.

To see a quick overview of the pulsar process see . This is an older page. The new (under construction) website says the process is 8 minutes. This is without drilling holes or warming up the laminator.

Frank, the inventor behind Pulsar has a neat etching method where you wipe the copper off the PCB with a sponge and ferric chloride.

The same people also make DecalPro. A system for making carrier free decals in color or foil. Fun stuff.

3v0

Last edited:
I use the free version of Eagle. It's not so simple as ExpressPCB, and would take you more time to learn, but you'll be able to do more with it, and if you want to use a boardhouse other than ExpressPCB to do a professional PCB, it will output Gerber files. Some board manufacturers will take straight Eagle output files as well. There's plenty of web tutorials if you Google them.

I too, use scotchbrite, and alcohol or acetone... also agree about EAGLE. :D

There is at least one great place to get prototypes done: SparkFun's
BatchPCB - Home

SparkFun also has some EAGLE tutorials:

Schematics:
SparkFun Electronics

Producing circuit boards:
SparkFun Electronics

and making library parts:
SparkFun Electronics

They also have a tutorial for preparing your gerbers to send, but I can't locate that at the minute.

As well there is Open Circuits http://www.opencircuits.com/Eagle_Links (which seems to be down at the moment.)

The laminator we are talking about is a heated roller setup used to laminate paper or cardboard between plastic. Instead of ironing you run the PCB through the laminator a few times.

There has been some progress in toner transfer. I like the PulsarProFx system others go for Press and Peel (P&P).

The pulsar paper is coated with a starch that turns to slime when wet. The paper floats off the PCB in about a minute. It seems this also allows for a finer line.

To see a quick overview of the pulsar process see . This is an older page. The new (under construction) website says the process is 8 minutes. This is without drilling holes or warming up the laminator.

Frank, the inventor behind Pulsar has a neat etching method where you wipe the copper off the PCB with a sponge and ferric chloride.

The same people also make DecalPro. A system for making carrier free decals in color or foil. Fun stuff.

3v0

I just ordered the TIA, the Fab in a Box kit, and the Green specialty foil from Pulsar.

Can't wait to try it.

Thank you!

Downloading Eagle right now. Got ExpressPCB too.

Last edited:
Got the drill bits (and a whole lotta other stuff) ordered from the E Goldmine. They have great assortments.

Thanks guys!

You inspired me. I'll do it like you, buy some scotchbrite, and drink a beer!

I'm honoured, but I don't use Press-n-Peel, so what might work for me might not work for you. Other people have confirmed it, though, so I think it's a good bet it's just as effective with PnP.

I too spent a while without touching this stuff and just got back into it about a month ago.

I'm honoured, but I don't use Press-n-Peel, so what might work for me might not work for you. Other people have confirmed it, though, so I think it's a good bet it's just as effective with PnP.

I too spent a while without touching this stuff and just got back into it about a month ago.

Yeah, it's good to get back into it.

I'm anxious to get the TIA and see how well it works with the PNP. But just in case, I ordered their supplies too. I'll report the results after I try it with PNP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back