Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Press-n-Peel Blue Transfer Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

Hi everybody

to do a circuit on a pcb there are many ways, one of them is using "Press-n-Peel Blue Transfer Film" to print the pcb on them using a lazer printer or photocopier, iron it on the pcb and use acid to remove the rest of the copper coatings.

https://www.techniks.com/

i searched for it but all the offers did not suit me, either because of the minimum order condition or the huge amont of shiping cost using Express.

Is there any alternative to this company? or if any one have some i'm ready to send him the mailing/shpping costs plus its price ( I need two or three sheets)

thanks

inkjet glossy photo paper [used with laser printer or photocopier], particularly epson brand, comes highly reccomended. some on here have success with glossy magazine paper. search the forum, and google. you'll find loads of info.

Funny how this topic comes up almost monthly... Use this forum's search, and look for 'toner transfer'. You'll get all the information, well actually more then you might want, also some of its a little humorous... Plenty of links to sources and options.

Pulsar transfer paper is slightly cheaper then PNP Blue. I use it, and seldom a bad board (finger prints...) :)

Bahrain? Isn't that where Michael Jackson moved to a couple years ago after his trial?

This is were this forum falls flat on its face!

aljamri said:
Hi everybody

to do a circuit on a pcb there are many ways, one of them is using "Press-n-Peel Blue Transfer Film" to print the pcb on them using a lazer printer or photocopier, iron it on the pcb and use acid to remove the rest of the copper coatings.

https://www.techniks.com/

i searched for it but all the offers did not suit me, either because of the minimum order condition or the huge amont of shiping cost using Express.

Is there any alternative to this company? or if any one have some i'm ready to send him the mailing/shpping costs plus its price ( I need two or three sheets)

thanks

It falls flat on its face because you are not allowed to sell anything here!

I bought 20 sheets, enough for two lifetimes but I guess my heirs will have to find a way to dispose of it.

I use magazine paper as it's the cheapest medium around and it gives me good results.

HarveyH42 said:
... Use this forum's search, and look for 'toner transfer'.

Thanks for your help

HarveyH42 said:
Pulsar transfer paper is slightly cheaper then PNP Blue.

i tried to order from pulsar but they asked double of the package cost for shipping.

HarveyH42 said:
Bahrain? Isn't that where Michael Jackson moved to a couple years ago after his trial?

Yes, it is but i heared it only from media.

Mouser sells Pulsar toner transfer paper and foils. Search for "Toner Transfer" on their site. They have branch offices in China and Singapore. Not sure how or if you can order through these regional offices.

I used half of my 10 sheet pack of transfer paper in a year. The paper goes faster with fake silkscreen layers and DS boards. Started playing with painting the top side to get a better background for the parts placement graphics. Black, Red, and Purple boards may help keep the students interested.

Next Mouser order I may get the white foil. Either that or order the decal kit direct from pulsar so I can do nice graphics on my cases and tattoos on my friends. :D

Hero999 said:
I use magazine paper as it's the cheapest medium around and it gives me good results.

When you said magazine paper, do yuo mean a used magazine or there is blank paper called magazine paper?! sorry but i'm confused:confused:

I mean a used magazine, it doesn't matter if there's print on it, I've found that darker areas are often better.

1. Clean the copper clad board with an emery cloth or fine sand paper.
  2. Print your design on it with a laser printer.
  3. Iron it on using the highest heat setting and as much pressure as possible.
  4. Soak it in cold water for ten minutes.
  5. Rub the paper off.
  6. Etch it.
  7. Remove the toner using acetone or sand paper.
Even if you can't get the toner to stickthe first time, it doesn't matter as you can easilly remove it and try again so you've got nothing to loose.

this is a common case of international postage / courrier and the related insurance costs,

the best is Glossy mag paper as suggested by many and also by HERO999

i would only request HER999 to clarify whether it is comparable to what we see on mags like TIME magazine - a very this glossy on both sides. generally Photocopier firms have not been willing to push this thin paper into the machine as it CURLs and gets stuckup.-- same case with laser printers

how abt the experiece of HERO999 and others. w

e use the one side glossy paper sold in India by a NewDelhi based firm and it is called glossy Inkjet paper-- one side is slighly dark and other side glossy like an extra coating. also another paper used is DESMAT paper available in packs of 200 sheets-- not any less

If we print on a Tracing paper of A4 or suitable size will it serve?

Sarma

Last edited:
mvs sarma said:
If we print on a Tracing paper of A4 or suitable size will it serve?
Sarma

Do not think so.

For anything to work as transfer paper it needs two properties.

First the toner has to stick to it (the transfer paper) so you can do the transfer without the toner pattern falling off. Alu foil and cooking parchment are difficult to use because the toner falls off too easily. The mailing label backing works better but is still iffy.

Second it has to release the toner. This is most often done by wetting/soaking the paper. Most papers are good at holding the toner but lousy at releasing it. Often times the toner soaks into the paper and you end up with paper fibers sticking out of your toner tracks on the PCB.

The 'found" papers that work often have a high clay content. Adding clay to the paper makes the surface slick/shinny. The clay helps release the toner when wet.

The better a paper is at these two thing the better you board will be.

Keep in mind that the quality of the pattern you transfer is limited by the quality of toner pattern produced by your printer.

HTH

The clay coated paper used to prine most glossy magazines is fine be it can't be too glossy or it won't work: the slightly rough stuff for alll the internal pages is good, the really shiney stuff the covers are printed on is no good.

Copper Cleaner ...........

Hero999 said:
I mean a used magazine, it doesn't matter if there's print on it, I've found that darker areas are often better.

1. Clean the copper clad board with an emery cloth or fine sand paper.
  2. Print your design on it with a laser printer.
  3. Iron it on using the highest heat setting and as much pressure as possible.
  4. Soak it in cold water for ten minutes.
  5. Rub the paper off.
  6. Etch it.
  7. Remove the toner using acetone or sand paper.
Even if you can't get the toner to stickthe first time, it doesn't matter as you can easilly remove it and try again so you've got nothing to loose.

Regarding point #1; the object of the cleaning is to get the copper shiny!
There are many recipes for copper cleaners on the web, most use cheap and common household products. Not a one use "emery cloth or fine sand paper"
I personally use a commercial cleaner that can be found just about anywhere for a few $'s. It gets the PCB shiny in just a few seconds when rubbed on with a wadded up paper towel.

"oils and such"

3v0 said:
The object of cleaning is to remove oils and such so the toner can stick.

I think you will find that "oils and such" no longer exist after you get it shiny.

I thought .........

Nigel Goodwin said:
Except you could spray it with silicon polish to make it 'shiny' :p

Wouldn't take toner or solder too well then!.

........ I made it clear that I was talking about copper cleaner, which is not the same as silicon polish; ask any house wife.

Thanks 3vO ,
i shall try out and come back on this type of magazine paper method in a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back