Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

preparing an electronics suitcase,what would you choose to include?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynx

Hi.. missing from your home place for a long period of time..going somewhere which is uncertain if electronic parts can be sourced and you want to keep doing various small projects..etc, what would you choose to carry together with your luggage other than the usual we all carry for a trip? Im asking because i find it hard to prepare a compact suitcase avoiding useless stuff... For example i got a portable tiny oscilliscope which for sure i'll include also i have a very compact multimeter with many more than the usual functions...a tiny 12v/8w soldering iron in case i need to do something outdoors ,breadboard perf. Boards....etc... But concerning components what would you choose to carry with you? A 555 IC its a very versatile component and can do many stuff with it...what other similar you would choose?

Last edited:
sGood grief!!

How about the entire parts section of a Radio Shack ? :woot:

Won't fit, I bet...

How about a handful each of electrolytic (or tantalum) and ceramic caps, An assortment (one of the RS "bunch") of resistors. A few NPN and PNP xsistors, diodes, zeners, opamps, the 555s you mentioned, LEDs, assorted hand tools, couple of wall warts, audio xformer, alligator fitted jumpers, some 24 ga insulated wire, shrink tubling, electrical tape, a few each miniature relays and switches, general schematic handbook, super glue.

Sure I'm forgetting something...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Duct tape and WD40, normally you get one of two sistuation's,

something is stuck that shouldn't be.... use WD40

something isnt stuck and should be.......use Duct tape

more seriously

choose a few most often used resistors, i would take say 40 10k, i wouldnt take 5k and you can parallel the 10k to get 5K if needed, so work out the values you use the most,

Diodes
take some small signal like 1n48 whatever it is

take some 1A rectifier diodes

take some Zeners of different values, they are handy if you need say 3.3V and only have a 12V or 5V supply

take electrolytic caps
4.7uf
10 uf
470 uf
take some ceramic caps

100nf mainly

take some transistors, the BC547 and its p type counter part

also take some 2n22222 and p channel counter part

I wouldnt go anywhere without some pic micro's :D, infact i would take a pickit3 and my junebug dev board

take bread board and a reel maybe 2 of 7/22 hook up wire 1 reel 100 meters last's a while dosnt take alot of space

takes some LEDS, i would take rgb's then your covered for any colour :D

take some 556 timers or the quad type, they take no more room than the 555 but you get more than one timer :D

take a 4017 decade counter (no idea why)

take some op amps

take a couple of quad comparators

depends what you think you might be doing but i would say the above is a basic list. dont forget cutters and screwdrivers

If it were me, in addition to Ghostmans selection of components, I would take my USB oscilloscope (because I have got one) it is maybe a bit better than the average and has a built in function generator.
I would take a cheap small DMM, my PIC development board + PICKIT2, and my general purpose breadboard with built in power supply and other odds.

Just one thing, where are you travelling to with this?
Taking it by air? Can you afford the excess baggage charges?
Going to some tin pot 3rd world country, you need a good story for the knuckle draggers at customs!

JimB

Good point Jim, make sure the country you are going too will allow you through custom's, many will try and charge you!

hi your replies are very helpful! though i hope more members can participate
so i can see more recommendations

btw powering my projects maybe it won't be much of a problem, because i'm
equipped with small switching power supplies and step up /down converters so zener
diodes mostly won't be useful for that purpose... :)

Just one thing, where are you travelling to with this?
Taking it by air? Can you afford the excess baggage charges?
Going to some tin pot 3rd world country, you need a good story for the knuckle draggers at customs!

JimB

Good point Jim, make sure the country you are going too will allow you through custom's, many will try and charge you!

don't worry, i'm not going to go anywhere abroad... :) though since you mentioned it i would consider in case one day i'll get a nice invitation
for a job somewhere outside my country, just that i'd like to make what the title says, so i can do my stuff with electronics while visiting a remote area for some period of time.

8w isnt enough for outside 25w at least.
Think of the tools and stuff you use the most and make a list, and take those.
I have 2 'shops and I'm allways taking stuff from 1 to the other.

depends if you mainly do analogue or Micro work or a mixture. Mine would be mainly pic stuff.

I was thinking about outdoor temp being lower and wind cooling the iron down.

wouldn't a soldering gun be better for actual outside in the cold work?
I tried one on my ear lobe to see how hot they got :confused:, very unlikely I will ever repeat the experiment:facepalm:, the skin stuck to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back