Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"POWERTIP CORP - PC1602ARU-HWB-G-Q - LCD MODULE, 16X2, X-TMP" - Anyone Else Used One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

Has anyone used this LCD Module:

"POWERTIP CORP - PC1602ARU-HWB-G-Q - LCD MODULE, 16X2, X-TMP" ?

- I ask because I have connected it according to the datasheet instructions to a circuit which works perfectly well with another model of Powertip LCD, (PC2002LRS-AWA-B-Q), but the display is incredibly faint. - Almost unreadable even at maximum contrast.

However, with the different module I can see everything clearly.

I'm thinking I've got to send the faint ones back for a refund...

Have any of you experienced similar problems with this model of LCD?

Is this behaviour compatible with a dud unit?

What's the best way to remove my 2x8 header pins if I need to return the LCD? - Already tried desoldering pump and desoldering braid, to no avail.

Thanks.

Analogue.

Hi,

Thats interesting, I purchased a PC1602LRU-HWB-H-Q from Farnells earlier this year to go into a very well proven existing circuit - it would only display the top row in that or any other circuit.

Was suggested that the 'timings might be slightly different' -thats not what I call HD44780 compatible though

Bought a different manufacturers display and that worked ok

Just put it down to one of those things, though it is the first new lcd failure I have ever had - at the price hardly worth the trouble and cost of returning it.

Interesting indeed, Wp100: I bought mine from Farnell too.

The trouble is I shelled out for a batch of them since I have a lot of prototypes to build and thought it would be easier if I gave each its own LCD. So far, two of the batch haven't worked. They seemed like a real bargain, but they've caused me major annoyance.

Analogue.

Hi,

Well have a word with thier technical engineers - does seem like those PowerTips have some batch problems - I'm sure they will sort replacements for your faulty ones - have never had any problem with their service.

The one I had was simply not worth the time and trouble sending it back - sure they would have replaced it if I asked.

Hi there

Here are a few things that I have experienced with these modules.

I have used many variants of these displays and there are some annoying lack if standards with them. The worst one is to do with the contrast of the disPlay. On some all you need to do to control the contrast is a potentiometer of about 10k connected between the VEE pin and 0v. Others require a -ve VEE supply of around -3v.

With the lack of contrast problem. Wire a potentiometer of 10k between +5v and a -5v supply (use a DC to DC charge pump chip) then connect the wiper to the VEE pin. Adjust the pot for best contrast. You will get a very sharp contrast. There is nothing wrong with your display just annoying differences in spec.

As for the single line display. This is an initialisation issue. The display has not been properly initialized. You need to send the a code of 0x38 to the display (that is 2 line working no cursor and 7x5 mode). Sometimes it is timing also you may have to add small delays into the initialisation routine. I know, it's annoying.

As for desoldering the pins, you really need to suck out the pins very well without daming the pth holes.

Hope this helps.

Hello and welcome to the forum, Chris.

What you write about these LCDs is very interesting: maybe their lack of consistency explains why they're so cheap to buy.

Thanks for the solution to the infuriating contrast problem. - I'd like to try it out to see what sort of results I get.

I did eventually manage to retrieve my pins, but it wasn't easy.

Analogue.

Hi all,

I had a similar problem with a Powertip PC2004LRU-AWB-H-Q - LCD MODULE, 20X4, X-TMP (farnell part 1671508). I was also attracted by the price!

I had it connected to a PIC F8722 explorer board using a 4bit interface. I had the Vo pin tied to the wiper of a potentiometer connected across 0V -> +5V. It seemed that I could only put characters onto the display if I configured it as a one line display. I could only place characters onto lines 1 & 3.

Configuring the display for two lines appeared to stop the display working i.e. I couldn't get any characters to appear on the display. Having slowed my drive signals down to 10's of msec, still no joy.

After reading previous posts, the suggestion of supplying a negative voltage to the vo pin made sense. Having now connected the potentiomter across -5V -> +5V and configuring the dispaly for two lines, I can now put characters on any line.

Many thanks for the efforts of others!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back