Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

powering a woffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMBONEL

This may be simple or stupid. But here goes.
I have a non amplified sub-woffer ans an old stereo receiver.
Can I use the receiver to power the woffer? What output and inputs should I use?

you can hook it up as a regular speaker if you want. Bridged for more power. Is you old receiver have amps in it?
Also if you are already using two regular speakers connected to your reciever, you can bridge all three. Just place a cap and inductor in series on the + of the regular speakers to only let mids and highs through. And place a inductor in series on the - of the sub.

What it really amounts to is that if you have 2 outputs, you can hook up a total of 6 speakers to the reciever without harming anything. Because if you use crossovers, at any given point, the reciever only sees one speaker on each channel hooked up.

powering a wofer

Thanks for the reply, Herby. I need to know which output I can use to send the signal to the second receiver, which has amps and then power the wofer with the second receiver. Jimbo

Why do you have two recievers? Why don't you just use the one with the amp. Does the old one have something special about it?

Anyway, to answer your question, your reciever(s) should have an auxilary input to them. Well, if they do, from your old one, get a 1/4 in. mic cord and strip one end. At that end you should see 4 wires(stereo), 2 gnd, and two output(r and l). They are going to be small, so you would probably want to solder bigger wires to them. When that is all said and done you need to plug the wires to there corresponding location on your old reciever(the speaker outputs).

Now you have the other end, you need to find the auxilary input on your newer reciever. Plug it in. And plug your speakers up, and turn on. It should fire away.

Now this is based on that you do have an auxilary input. But if you don't, maybe you have a phono input. If you have a tape input, do not use that one. For your sound wouldn't be amplified. I don't think.

If you don't have any, then i might have to think about it some more.

Hope I have been some help.

To Herby

Thank you so much. I think you may have something there.
I'm going to check it out and let you know how it goes.
By the way, my receiver just doesn't power the sub wofer enough and rather than go and buy a powered one , I thought I'd try to use this old receiver as a power source.

well, if your old one has an amp, go for it. And if you ever want to know how to hook up six speakers, just ask.

Success, ----I think

Thanks again Herby.
I got the bright idea that perhaps the phones jack was not pre-amped and would work--wrong. But-- I remembered what you said about not using the tape jack, I tried going from phone jack to tape-in and it worked like a charm. The Aux and Phono caused serious distortion.
Tanks again. Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back