Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Powering a lb1000 bulb uvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

P1zaul

I saw this thread but looks like it is closed

https://www.electro-tech-online.com...on-about-power-needed-for-light-strip.158721/

I am attempting to power the same and cannot figure out what is needed. I tried a 12v 1 amp ac power supply and it powered one bulb but does show 1.3 amps on my multimeter. With two bulbs only one turns on. I then hooked one bulb to a 12v 600 watt power supply to see how much amps and the bulb blew. I know it is supposed to be 10v so maybe that was the issue but these all claim to be 3 watts but drawing much more even after being on for a while. Anyone have any experience with these.

What you have there is basically a fluorescent lamp sans phosphor and protective uv glass. These generally need high voltage to start so I would see if you can find a 5 watt pl fluorescent ballast (usually a couple bucks on eBay.) When this bulb starts the filament warms up, vaporizing the mercury and then an arc strikes between the top points of the filament. A six watt fluorescent tube takes about 55 volts to strike so i would estimate yours to possibly need a striking voltage of at least 35-40 volts DC.

Thanks for the reply, if i want to run two of these do i need a 8-10 watt or so ballast. also are these 120v to 10 or 12v transformers? i know the bulb is only rated at 10v 3 watts.

Thanks for the reply, if i want to run two of these do i need a 8-10 watt or so ballast. also are these 120v to 10 or 12v transformers? i know the bulb is only rated at 10v 3 watts.
These arc tubes can take a bit of a beating so you could probably get away with either the 8 or the 10 watt ballast. If you want them to last longer however I would use the 8 watt ballast. Usually the ballasts are 120 volts not 12 volts dc. However depending on how you are powering it you could probably use an inverter or you could try to find a 12 volt ballast (hard to get and usually expensive.) Also, the 10 volt rating is probably just the minimum voltage to keep the arc in the bulb lit (as long as you stay reasonably within the wattage range you should be fine. Hope this helps.

currently i have a 120v to 12v convertor and it does power the bulb. if the ballast is 120v wouldnt that blow the 10v (or 12v) bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back