Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Transmitter controlled by ProMicro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibwev

I would like to cycle 9 volts of power to an RF Transmitter https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Seeed Technology/113990010_Web.pdf via a 5 Volt ProMicro https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Dev/Arduino/Boards/ProMicro16MHzv1.pdf.

microToTransmitterPower.jpg
Is the transistor (perhaps the 2N222) the only component needed to cycle the power? I am having trouble finding the power demand of the transmitter but this one **broken link removed** uses 10 mW.

That connection will not work. The base of the PNP transistor switches from 9.0V to 8.3V to turn on the transistor (and transmitter). The port pin on the micro switches between 0V and 5V; see the problem?

You need a "high side switch". Google it.

Here is the basic idea:

D19.png

Thank you for the help. I have so many questions. I am going to do some more googling. Is there an "electronic bible" that all electronic hobbyist should read? I would love to have a better understanding of what is going on in the above circuit but I don't know where to start. I understand the role of the resistors and transistors but I don't understand how the above circuit all works together.

Basically: when V(portpin) is oV (logic low), the voltage across the "TX" load is 0V. When V(portpin)=5V (logic high), the voltage across the "TX" load is ~9V. As configured, I am assuming that the TX requires ~100mA when keyed. If it is more, then we need to change some resistor values...

Q2 acts as a level-shifter to get from the 5V at the port to the base of Q1.

The Art of Electronics

Last edited:
Unless you put proper antennas on both the TX and RX, your next question is going to be "why am only getting a range of a few feet"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back