Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEBB

hello,

I'm trying to build a inverter and thinking of using two power sources: regulated power supply or a battery and a solar power.

I need to connect both power sources using the solar power first and automatically switches to a power supply or a battery when the solar power stops generating the 12vdc that I need for my inverter.
I don't have an idea what kind of timer or switches to build to make this work.
Please give me any thoughts

Thank You

Try this circuit: Insted of relay you can also use transistor to save some power that is lost in operating the relay.

Attachments

• Sw.gif
    Sw.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 890
hi there,
I'm just wondering where i could find a schematic diagram for relay/timer that uses transistor.

thank you

You may try something of this sort:
When Solar Panel is gerenarting power T1 and T2 are on and T3 is off. Whereas when no solar power is available, T1 and T2 are off and T3 turns on thereby supplying power from battery.

Attachments

• Solar_Panel.gif
    Solar_Panel.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 782
Personally, I would take the approach of using a comparator to detect when the solar voltage drops below a reference voltage, then switching the MOSFETs in and out, as shown:
(apologies if I've drawn the MOSFETs the wrong way round - I can never remember :oops: )

**broken link removed**

Thank you for all your ideas and I'm hoping to connect my power supply properly.
One last question: What tyoe of transistors specification should I use for the 24 hour relay/timer that could switch my solar power to a back-up battery or power supply

Thank You

The transistor type will depend upon how much current your circuit is going to draw from battery and solar panels. Select an appropriate transistor with current capacity higher than your system uses.

kinjalgp said:
You may try something of this sort:
When Solar Panel is gerenarting power T1 and T2 are on and T3 is off. Whereas when no solar power is available, T1 and T2 are off and T3 turns on thereby supplying power from battery.
That won't work!!
The current from the battery will be short-circuited through the transistors.

:?: :?: :?:
What do you think the 2 diodes are doing out there star882?

The battery current will flow from the positive terminal of the battery to T3's emitter, go to T3's base, then flow through T2 to ground.
Just think of a PNP transistor as e-->|--b--|<--c
and NPN as e--|<--b-->|--c .
Do you see what I mean?

I got your point. See the updated schematic above. This will work ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back