Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Bank improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencer_manzon

Hello everybody,

I have a project that aims to improve one of my power banks.
Here is the progress of my project:
IMG_20141231_004550 (Small).jpg

Since the original PCB (the blue one) of the power bank only puts out 4.3V (which is out of spec for usb charging), I salvaged a PCB (the green one) from a USB charger powered by 2x AA batteries which puts out a nice 4.9-5.1 volt output.

Now, this is where things get complicated.
1.) I wanted to connect the new charger PCB (the green one) to the old charger PCB (the blue one) via USB (there were two ports, I removed one port). Since the bloody blue PCB could not supply the current needed by the green PCB (which is 500-600mA, tested with a USB Doctor (blue box)) because the blue PCB could only output about 250mA on its "2.1A port", I set off for Plan #2.
2.) Now, I noticed that I could turn on and off the LED flashlight on the blue PCB. I could wire up the green PCB on that one (added bonus of an ON/OFF switch) but I am uncertain of the current that the LED driver could put out. So, I set off for Plan #3.
3.) Plan #3 is where I am troubled. I am choosing to keep the bloody blue PCB for its charging capabilities for the battery pack but I am torn in wiring the green PCB. I was almost gonna wire it directly to the battery pack (the battery pack is in parallel and are li-ion cells) but I was worried for the cut-off voltage for the pack. I am assuming the cut-off circuitry is in the blue PCB because it shuts off when the battery is used up. Will it be safe to wire it up or do I need to buy one of these: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1pcs-1S-Li-...639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f42b5a2f7 ? By the way, the IC in the green board is a TD8228 which draws voltage as low as 2V.

Thanks for reading my long post. Cheers! :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back