Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Arduino Micro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapstone

Any suggestions on powering an Arduino Micro from a standard wall socket? I dont seem to be able to find a wall wart with a micro usb connection in the 7-12 volt range. Most are replacement chargers for phones but they run around 5 volts which is to little.

Derek

Double check! Are you sure the micro USB connector is 7-12V and not 5V.
I have never seen a USB connector with a voltage not 5V.

USB is 5V! VI is 7 to 12V! VI is not in the USB cable. See attached drawing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Arduino Micro can be powered via the micro USB connection or with an external power supply. The power source is selected automatically.

External (non-USB) power can come either from a DC power supply or battery. Leads from a battery or DC power supply can be connected to the Gnd and Vin pins.

The board can operate on an external supply of 6 to 20 volts. If supplied with less than 7V, however, the 5V pin may supply less than five volts and the board may be unstable. If using more than 12V, the voltage regulator may overheat and damage the board. The recommended range is 7 to 12 volts.

The power pins are as follows:

• VI. The input voltage to the Arduino board when it's using an external power source (as opposed to 5 volts from the USB connection or other regulated power source). You can supply voltage through this pin.
  • 5V. The regulated power supply used to power the microcontroller and other components on the board. This can come either from VIN via an on-board regulator, or be supplied by USB or another regulated 5V supply.
  • 3V. A 3.3 volt supply generated by the on-board regulator. Maximum current draw is 50 mA.
  • Ground pins.

Attachments

• arduino-micro-schematic.pdf
    88.2 KB · Views: 704
USB is 5V! VI is 7 to 12V! VI is not in the USB cable. See attached drawing.

Okay, my bad. I didn't realize that all USB connections are 5v. I assumed that USB was able to supply a variety of power options, but since USB is already power regulated then Im guessing that it by passes the onboard power regulator.

That makes this much simpler. It sounds like i can purchase any usb wall charger and then just swap out the cable with a micro cable and im good to go. Do i need to worry about amps supplied in this picture?

Derek

I believed if 5V is true then the 5V regulator is disabled with a MOSFET. If 5V is not there then the regulator will work.
VI is one of the pins. (not USB)

Simple answer: use your cell phone charger.

Cools.
I believed if 5V is true then the 5V regulator is disabled with a MOSFET. If 5V is not there then the regulator will work.
VI is one of the pins. (not USB)

Simple answer: use your cell phone charger.

Cools. Thanks for the help. Thats easier than i expected it would be.

His arduino does not have a power connector. That is part of the confusion.
He only has USB and pins called VI, 5V and 3V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back