Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

POLL: Should we hold another competition ?

Should we hold another competition ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
Electromaster has given me permission to handle the next competition which should prevent some of the delays we had last time.

If you vote yes in the poll feel free to make suggestions for new competitions.

3v0

Last edited:
Electromaster has given me permission to handle the next competition which should prevent some of the delays we had last time.

If you vote yes in the poll feel free to make suggestions for new competitions.

3v0

hi 3v0,
It was disappointing to see such a limited number of submissions input from the membership.

Is it possible that when we vote for if a competition should be held,
that the member states that he/she is going to submit a design or not.
The member dosnt have to prepublish details of his project.

If sufficient members say they are taking part then lets have a competition.

Last edited:
Yes, I think the competition should be held, with some changes on the rules. The 1st competition was a good try, let's learn from the failure.

Once the competition title/topic is set, user will have to register, whether or not participating the competition. There will be a registration due date. After the entry submission due date, if the registered user still have not had the entry sent in, punishment maybe :D A little message under the user name such as "FAIL" :D

If the number of participants is too less (5 participants, 3 prizes, doesn't sound good), due date is to be extended or topic/title changed.

These are what I'm thinking.

Thanks

Who are all polling for 'yes' should take part in the competition. Otherwise let them answer for the limited number of submissions if any, at last.

Who are all polling for 'yes' should take part in the competition. Otherwise let them answer for the limited number of submissions if any, at last.

So you saying that only the members who take part in the competition can actually vote YES.?

I would like to hear from everyone who cares. Only vote NO if you think contests are a bad idea. Your answer is independant of if you would ever enter.

Last edited:
Why not set a minimal number of entries required, before judgment, then give X number of weeks there after for the cutoff. Allow participants more than one entry, sometimes the first effort is kind of a rush job, day or two later a much better idea comes a long. The participants never really stop thinking about the competition, until the prizes are awarded anyway. Maybe limit to two or three per person.

Might also try advertising on other sites to draw in some new members as well, but probably not a great idea until we get a least one to run smoothly.

And yes, it's true, I didn't participate in the last one, might not participate in the next one, or even at all. Kind of depends of what I'm currently working with, my spare time is sometimes very short (overtime at work), and the theme of the competition. The last one was a little tough to get into, transistors have been around a long time. I didn't want to submit something that's been done many times before.

So you saying that only the members who take part in the competition can actually vote YES.?

Your answer is independant of if you would ever enter.

May be! Current poll is meaningless. Better poll will be 'who r all ready for competition?'. Else we will get a lot of 'yes' and when it come to reality, same as what happened to competition 1?

I doubt I will ever enter one of these competitions as my electronic skills are lacking. Should you do a programming comp then I will be happy to participate:D. However, I would add that I believe this is primarily an electronics site and the programming part is secondary and so the comps should be electronic based. I think the first comp had some teething problems but appeared to be reasonably supported. The thing that let it down was the lack of administration. If people are empowered to administer a new comp then I think it is worthwhile and should be encouraged.

Mike.

The percentage of electronics that exist without some level of programming is shrinking. Programming contests of the embedded nature would not be out of line. There are some details maybe difficulties to be worked out but there always is.

...However, I would add that I believe this is primarily an electronics site and the programming part is secondary and so the comps should be electronic based...
Mike.

May be! Current poll is meaningless. Better poll will be 'who r all ready for competition?'. Else we will get a lot of 'yes' and when it come to reality, same as what happened to competition 1?

hi valve,
A competition needs the support of members who feel they are a part of it and are commited to follow it thru to the judging.

If I cant vote for having a competition, why would I care to vote for the winners.:rolleyes:

I agree with that. Sorry Eric, if I did hurt you..:).

hi valve,
You didnt hurt me in anyway, you have a right to express your opinion.:)

I was thinking of a way to explain the need for members to feel involved in the competition.

The best idea I came up with was to compare it with the way supporters of a football team add to the excitement and interest of the game.

Without the supporters and the watching crowd the football game wouldnt be the same.:D

I doubt I will ever enter one of these competitions as my electronic skills are lacking. Should you do a programming comp then I will be happy to participate:D. However, I would add that I believe this is primarily an electronics site and the programming part is secondary and so the comps should be electronic based. I think the first comp had some teething problems but appeared to be reasonably supported. The thing that let it down was the lack of administration. If people are empowered to administer a new comp then I think it is worthwhile and should be encouraged.

Mike.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I am relatively neutral with respect to another competition. I would probably not participate in one with material prizes (unless de minimus, like a kiss from audioguru :D) or qualitive assessment. Keep it fun, but not silly.

Voting in the poll should not obligate one to participate, as we don't know anything about what the anticipated new competition will be.

John

At first I thought that a competition was a good idea even though I had no intention of competinging in it myself but now I don't think it is such a good idea is as it did cause some trouble.

I do have a verry bitter taste in my mouth if I see the word competition and electro tech online in the same message
and that's all due the experiance of the first one

if there is more transperancy introduced in how entrys will be judge and disputes can be explaned by interpetation of the rules I might considder to partisipate again

there are already a lot of words spoken in several threads regarding this and i would advice to have a good look at it, to come to a better set up of the competition than before

Robert-Jan

I regret that the last competition did now work out better.

Some of the old threads may have been removed. If you have suggestions this is the thread to make them in.

The judging was clear and easy to understand. Your entry was not posted by ElectroMaster. I do not know why, it was his call.

If we do another contest I will do my best to see to it that it is fair. I will be doing the work ElectroMaster did in the last contest, it should move along at a brisker pace.

But I see you did not vote.

3v0

I do have a verry bitter taste in my mouth if I see the word competition and electro tech online in the same message
and that's all due the experiance of the first one

if there is more transperancy introduced in how entrys will be judge and disputes can be explaned by interpetation of the rules I might considder to partisipate again

there are already a lot of words spoken in several threads regarding this and i would advice to have a good look at it, to come to a better set up of the competition than before

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
I did vote now :)

one thing that should be clear if a entry is rejected is the reason why

my entry was rejected and no is reason given why

I ask an explanation and an answer is promised but not given

the rules where pretty clear in my opinion and the thread over the interpetation gives a good idea where the limits where

my entry whas in my opinion within all the limits

that somebody makes a mistake in the interpetation of the rules that can hapen no hard feelings for that but than in that case there was also time enough to fix it

if all moderators have a vote on the entrys than all moderators should also judge the entrys on complying with the set of rules.

if any ??? arise regarding complaince with the rules than the moderators can vote for rejection of the entry or acseptance (with or without an handicap)

before the member vote stage of the process

if it result in an rejection than it's easy to publish it as this entry is rejected/handicapted because of not complying with ......rule

the poster still have a chance to modify in that case and the whole proces is open (more thrustworthy)

and it's clear for all participants that it is fair

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
Current the poll is running 2 to 1 in favor of holding another competition.

Less then 20 people have voted. That tells me that were we to hold another competition we would have few entries.

If you have an opinion regarding this please vote.

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back