Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Political Correctness,Trolls & Experiance

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't fix stupid, but it's got to be worth not helping people be stupid. Can't help but return to the "help me destroy something without the owner noticising" thread where a few of us were more or less in agreement not to help the OP do something illegal, and then someone comes up with a suggestion which would destroy the device, have a high risk of causing serious injury, and/or starting a fire...

Questions which are so blatantly illegal should be removed by moderators.

Where would we be if they had rules
Although electricity was just a hobby for Ben Franklin, he made many important contributions. Later scientists, like Michael Faraday and Thomas A. Edison, continued to study electricity using many of Ben's ideas. Even today, scientists are still studying electricity and learning more about it. They've learned that all citizens need to practice good safety habits, since electricity can be very dangerous. Ben Franklin would be amazed at how important his stormy kite flight really was!
In the dark lol

It is easy to say we should do this or we should do that but if you
care about helping people you sometimes need to look past the first
post.

True, but when the next post is no less insane, or when the OP doesn't actually bother to make another post or acknowledge the help and suggestions made by other posters, it can feel like a waste of effort sometimes.

I prefer to let the persons common sense and stupidity fight it out for who ultimatly wins. :eek:
Either way the persons problem/s get solved!:D

If they dont have brains enough to not take their live toaster in the bathtub with them do we really want to have that person running loose anyway? :eek:

Last edited:
Where would we be if they had rules

Quote:
Although electricity was just a hobby for Ben Franklin, he made many important contributions. Later scientists, like Michael Faraday and Thomas A. Edison, continued to study electricity using many of Ben's ideas. Even today, scientists are still studying electricity and learning more about it. They've learned that all citizens need to practice good safety habits, since electricity can be very dangerous. Ben Franklin would be amazed at how important his stormy kite flight really was!

In the dark lol

Hate when people leave out Nikola Tesla...

That's because he was a EE And people that thought they new more left him out
You know I'm right your wrong . After all he just added to work that had been done.
I'm glade he came up with Ac Ac motors electrical transmission of power

I don't think he made his peers happy with all them patents

He may of done more then the rest but your right he always left out

Would you like fries with that ?

3VO, you always bring up this line that I used some time ago. Come on the guy wanted schematics, PCB, and explanation of theory. He had it coming. I am not sure why this comment annoyed you so much, but I have not made such comments for a very long time. How many more hail Mary's must I recite before this is forgotten?

Topic Drift!

I thought this thread was supposed to be about PC, trolls and experience.

The way the thread has drifted in the last few posts is inferring that if a post falls within the critera listed by some of the members, then its OK to be offensive and/or post silly comments.:confused:

As its be said so many times before, if you dont like a thread or post then ignore it, you are not obliged to answer it.!

As some members have already stated, when the OP or any other member posts a potentially dangerous idea, then it should be challenged.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about PC, trolls and experience.

The way the thread has drifted in the last few posts is inferring that if a post falls within the critera listed by some of the members, then its OK to be offensive and/or post silly comments.:confused:

As its be said so many times before, if you dont like a thread or post then ignore it, you are not obliged to answer it.!

As some members have already stated, when the OP or any other member posts a potentially dangerous idea, then it should be challenged.

Agreed. A friend of mine once noted: "I have a theory that you only get a limited number of Argument Points per day. Every time you argue, you use up some points. So I try to spend mine where they're important."

It's easy to get stuck arguing against useless ideas. Heaven knows I've done it (anybody remember my pointless back-and-forth with bigkim1000? My apologies for that, by the way).

Some things need to be argued. Others just aren't worth it. I'm still learning this. If somebody wants to do something which is basically just stupid and won't be dissuaded, I figure "what the hell--let them". If someone wants to do something which could endanger someone, then maybe that needs to be argued against.

Torben

Agreed. A friend of mine once noted: "I have a theory that you only get a limited number of Argument Points per day. Every time you argue, you use up some points. So I try to spend mine where they're important."

It's easy to get stuck arguing against useless ideas. Heaven knows I've done it (anybody remember my pointless back-and-forth with bigkim1000? My apologies for that, by the way).

Some things need to be argued. Others just aren't worth it. I'm still learning this. If somebody wants to do something which is basically just stupid and won't be dissuaded, I figure "what the hell--let them". If someone wants to do something which could endanger someone, then maybe that needs to be argued against.

Torben

I am reminded of a phrase often spoken. "Pick your battles wisely"

Now I know most of you think your smarter and have more experience then the rest How do you known ?

You think if people don't write good there inexperienced Wrong

Don't take the time to lay out all the facts inexperienced Wrong

Maybe a little lazy Right

Don't tell some one how to do some thing they may get hurt
That's bull Boy's there not much you can do without the chance of getting hurt

Maybe live in a bubble.

You can't tell who behind the keyboard :D:D

My 2 cents....I agree to a degree with tcmtech's sentiments and other comments posted, but I must admit that of recent times I've taken a back seat when it comes to replying to some of the posts...

Reason:

I'm fed up of folk coming across with 'the I know better than you' attitude....

Its easier to just walk away...

Torben

I'll try to remember that. It's a good philosophy to have.

Mike.

Glad this is becoming a fair and open discussion about opinions. :)
My 2 cents....I agree to a degree with tcmtech's sentiments and other comments posted, but I must admit that of recent times I've taken a back seat when it comes to replying to some of the posts...
Reason:
I'm fed up of folk coming across with 'the I know better than you' attitude....
Its easier to just walk away...

Similar sentiments as well.
I know I do come off as over bearing many times. However when someone gives me long run out about some book theory as to why they think something only works a certain way and I in fact do work with said topic and am very familiar with how it actuality works I do get a bit rubbed the wrong way if that make sense.

All of us have things we just know more about for practical experience than most and yet we have to deal others going off like experts that really only have book theory to reference to.
I dont always mean to step on toes but many times the book doesn't come close to how real life works! ;)

The analogy I have used before was, just because you live in a apartment building and have a very nice and productive windowsill garden doesn't mean you can come out and tell farmers how to raise crops!
Sorry but there are some serious scalability issues your not aware of when going from hobby gardening to 2000 acre farming operations. :(
On the small scale something may be a real issue but on a large scale its lost in the background noise and not worth worrying about or can be addressed in a different way with far less over all concern. ;)

I have to side with be80be's comments as well. Not everyone here types well, communicates well, or cares to put the effort into addressing every detail about a subject if they dont feel it to be necessary in the first place.

I try to speak my mind with things I have good practical hands on experience with. With most everything else I just watch, listen and learn. for every post I make I have probably read 30 more I had no reason to respond to!:)

I generally try to contribute to anything I've read which I may be able to help with. I don't have a great deal of electronics experience but there are always others who have more experience and can add to what I've said or correct me if I'm wrong. It helps me learn where I went wrong as well as helping the OP with their problem.

By trying to help someone with their problem I'm not claiming to be an expert or that I know better than anyone else, but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't attempt to help simply because I'm not an expert in the field.

I generally try to contribute to anything I've read which I may be able to help with. I don't have a great deal of electronics experience but there are always others who have more experience and can add to what I've said or correct me if I'm wrong. It helps me learn where I went wrong as well as helping the OP with their problem.

By trying to help someone with their problem I'm not claiming to be an expert or that I know better than anyone else, but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't attempt to help simply because I'm not an expert in the field.

I agree 100%, IMHO its the positive approach that makes the difference.:)

I have only been here a few days ! But the problems with Forums everywhere, and posters with personality defects are unfortunately fairly common around the internet, and not peculiar to this particular Forum.

My attitude is to help wherever possible, and to just skip over and avoid threads that are of no particular interest to me.

To be honest I've actually found this is one of the best forums I've joined. Every forum has its share of rude / annoying / argumentative users, but ETO is one of the better ones. Compared to other forums I've been a member of, I've found that the number and frequency of replies is very high as well. As you said warpspeed, the problem is with forums in general, not with ETO. It's just far too easy and anonymous on the internet; people will make comments they frankly wouldn't dare make to someone's face.

It's easy to complain about what's wrong with a particular forum, but try doing better with your own forum and see how well that works :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back