Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PNP files

Status
Not open for further replies.

oemcar

Who has used board manufacturers to populate designs using pick and place (PNP) gerber files?
I've had good results from Elecrow for board manufacture- has anyone used them for this next service?
Any others? Typical leads and costs for labor?
Thanks,
Jim

I have used Elecrow to build boards twice, once for 25 pieces of 2 different boards with mostly through hole parts and once for 60 pieces of a small SMT board with 6 chips, mostly fine-pitch MSOP and similar parts.

In both cases, I've been pleased with the results although everything wasn't perfect. For the first set of boards, the located a supplier for yellow 7-segment digits when they couldn't get any from their usual sources. They are holding the balance for me when I need another batch - the minimum order quantity was far more pieces than I needed, but it was cheaper that way then sending parts from the US.

That first batch of boards had every SIP resistor installed backwards - don't assume that everybody understands the index mark on the SIP goes next to the mark on the board. This problem was easily fixed.

The second batch of boards fell victim to fake Linear Technology chips. I don't fault Elecrow for this - the chips look like the real thing. I returned the lot of boards with known-good parts and they repaired them at no cost.

My advice is to spell out the details. Include pictures and illustrations any place there's a chance for error. They will spend pictures of the first assembled board - check the details carefully.

For the boards I had made, the difference in price between what I had to pay for the boards and components and what they charges for turnkey service made the decision easy. Assembly added almost nothing to the total.

They were easy to work with and communication was easy. I'm a satisfied customer and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Elecrow.

MSOP

That first batch of boards had every SIP resistor installed backwards -

The second batch of boards fell victim to fake Linear Technology chips. I don't fault Elecrow for this -

My advice is to spell out the details. Include pictures and illustrations any place there's a chance for error. They will spend pictures of the first assembled board - check the details carefully.

For the boards I had made, the difference in price between what I had to pay for the boards and components and what they charges for turnkey service made the decision easy. Assembly added almost nothing to the total.

They were easy to work with and communication was easy. I'm a satisfied customer and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Elecrow.

That first batch of boards had every SIP resistor installed backwards - HUH?? Assembly added almost nothing to the total- They were easy to work with and communication was easy. I'm a satisfied customer and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Elecrow.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks,
Valuable input- Jim

The resistors are coonected to a common pin, which is indicated by the dot on the package. If it's reversed instead of all the resistors being pullups, they acted more like a voltage divider.

images(8).jpg

SmartSelectImage_2017-02-12-19-31-31.png

this is so frustrating-
cant pull in posts line by line and respond to specific questions here...

This is how you do it omecar. I have added * marks so the tags do not render
[*QUOTE="oemcar, post: 1287165, member: 261365"]this is so frustrating- [*/QUOTE]
Your plain text in response

[*QUOTE="oemcar, post: 1287165, member: 261365"]cant pull in posts line by line and respond to specific questions here...[*/QUOTE]

And here it is rendered (without the *s):

This is how you do it omecar. I have added * marks so the tags do not render
this is so frustrating-

cant pull in posts line by line and respond to specific questions here...

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back