Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please ID these pcb components

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddclicker

I have a emachines lcd monitor that has what i think is a smd fuse block burnt. But I'm no electronics repair man by no means, but kinda.
**broken link removed**

I can't see much of S3 under the gross amount of solder and flux on top.... but S4 and the symbols beside them suggest to me that it might be a ferrite bead. It would be used for interference suppression. S3 might not be defective, just buried by sloppy soldering. The left side of S4 looks like it might not be fully connected.

F1 would be the fuse, and it doesn't look bad from this view.

You really need a schematic, although an identical working unit would help a lot.

S3, S4 are chokes, F1 is the fuse.

S3 doesn't look like it's there anymore, prolly stuck to your iron tip judging from the amount of solder on the pads. Assuming it was there to start with that is.

It's not unknown for a manufacturer to build a common chassis and only fit the components necessary per model. Only a schematic for your model will be able to determine if S3 should be there or not. You will almost certainly require a schematic to successfully fault find the monitor if it's anything other than a straight short or low impedance on a power rail.
As for component values, the fuse may be marked, the chokes also, but less likely.
The best way to determine the values is to look at a schematic or parts list.
It may well be cheaper for you to either just replace it or take it in somewhere that repairs LCD monitors.

rgds

the solder is from an old slodering iron that wouldn't heat up properly, I have a new one now, (and a bulb). And the flux is is where the component burnt when it failed. Where s3 was I soldered a jumper and the monitor would come on but as soon as it did it would stay on but the screen would just come on and go right back off, the power, howeve,r would stay on, just no screen. And yes s3 WAS there.

Are you saying that the screen comes on and then goes off again but the power rails are all up and correct ?

If that is the case, when the screen comes on momentarily, is the display correct or does it show anomalies ?

If it looks correct, try holding the display at an angle towards a strong light and see if the display is actually there, just not back lit. It may be that either the inverter is dodgy or the cfl lamp is at the end of it's life and the inverter is shutting down. Of course that wouldn't necessarily explain why the choke popped, but it might just be drawing a little excess current trying to start the lamp.

If the display shows any anomalies whatsoever, you will need to ascertain that the supply rails are in fact all up and correct and work from there.

rgds

hi dear
u shot just efffected are
plz show complete PCB or more area
than i m able to check which section is damage
power section or ?
thx

A suggestion.

We have members with english as a 2nd or 3rd lanugage. Please do not use u plz etc. It makes it hard for them, and at times me, to understand.

Thanks.

hi dear
u shot just efffected are
plz show complete PCB or more area
than i m able to check which section is damage
power section or ?
thx

Last edited:
I tried to optimize the photos best I could but they are still big

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
S3 or S4 air core choke (SMD type) S3 brune due to rush current
so just put one low ohm (i.e. 10 ohm package 1206 format)
than check voltage regulator

as shown in pic AIC 1048 5A 3.3V regulator (post regulator for smps power supply)
pin 1 adj
pin 2 output (3.3 v)
pin 3 in put supply (5v)

check voltage regulator working fine or not

"so just put one low ohm (i.e. 10 ohm package 1206 format)
than check voltage regulator"

I will try this, Thank You Laserman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back