Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help missing resistance value

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtomoh

please help me with question 8

Attachments

• 20160305_172109.jpg
    20160305_172109.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 364
hi big,
As this is homework I will just give you a hint.
Lets do it step by step.

What is the circuit resistance, if the current is 40Amps at 200Vdc.???

E

Google "ohms law" Show us how you have attempted to solve the the 4 parts of the question.

Les.

That is correct for the value of the 3 resistors in parallel. I can see two ways to proceed. 1/ You now know the value of the 3 resistors in parallel. You know the value of two of the resistors so you can work out the value of the resistance of those 2 in parallel. You then have two resistors in parallel that give a resistance of 5 ohms and you have just calculated the value of one of them (R1 and R2 in parallel.) so you now can calculate R3. 2/ Calculate the current in R1. Calculate the current in R2. You can then see what the current in R3 must be. (As you have been given the total current.) From that you can calculate the value of R3.
(I used the second method.) You now have all the information to calculate the power dissipated in each resistor.

Les.

Your value for R3 is not quite right. I suspect that you have not been working to enough decimal places. (This is a situation were fractions give a more accurate answer than decimals.)

Les.

in australia we have been told to round up
200/10=20 200/15=13.3 r3=6.7=29.85 or 30 ohms ?

If you were to round to zero decimal places, you would get:

160305-resistors-in-parallel-round-zero.png

If you were to round to three decimal places, you would get:

160305-resistors-in-parallel-round-three.png

In some circles, in another time, we rounded to two decimal places using scientific notation.

160305-resistors-in-parallel-scientific-notation.png

The calculated cells are marked in Grey. The yellow highlighted cell was calculated using the parallel resistance formula, taking the reciprocal of the sum of the conductance of the resistors.

160305-resistors-in-parallel-calculated-cells.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back