Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me recognize clamp-meter's cap ratings for replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this page, there is datasheet for a microwave triac. In the datsaheet there is a simplified schematic of a microwave transformer. http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/N/4/4/AN441.shtml

Here, http://www.appliancessolution.com/products-2 is a interesting page because it has real specifications of the parts such as the magnetron and capacitor.

Trying to measure the secondary will likely result in meter damage. One will be about 3 VAC and the other basiccally not measurable.

If you look at the magnetron pictures , you will see 3 connections: 2 for the filament and one for the high voltage. Then a 4th connection would be ground.

Last edited:
I think you guys are more experienced than me and you are totally right , i will get away from microwaves for my own safety .

After a little searh about this HV transformer , i see that secondary is both stepped up and stepped down , but how can measurement be performed on that side ? (am not gonna try that just for knowledge)

debe
Very nice manual.

Can you do me a favor and look for a schematic for a Mid 80's Vintage Sanyo/Kenmore Micro Convection control board p/n 12360 The Sears model # is: 564.8668410, Sanyo Model is EM-5525. The control board part number is: 12360. A 12360 control board would also interest me.

I'd appreciate it.

Please read these notes VERY carefully. They are from a Toshiba Wksp manual & note it is VERY dangerous to measure the secondary voltage of the transformer & un necessary. ( Ive been repairing Microwaves for 35yrs & survived by being well informed & Carefull around High Voltage) Hate to see some one Killed due to not knowing what is involved & not knowing. Ask questions & make sure you understand what is being said. Stay SAFE & alive.
Really interesting diagrams , i got a clear idea now . and i do realize now how dangerous the stuff i was messing with .

There are a few possibe ways of transformer testing:
1. Ringing - See https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...g-wjoI1oqXyzAxadLzakQ_Q&bvm=bv.53077864,d.dmg

This is really the safest method.

Now you could possibly use a HV probe. e.g. https://www.grainger.com/Grainger/F...1T321&ef_id=UkIu6gAAAH8zqRkQ:20130925003138:s

In cases using a HV probe, all connections need to be made with the device unpowered and you ALWAYS have to use the "One hand in pocket" rule.

Those are the two safest methods,

Under VERY CONTROLLED conditions, I might be TEMPTED to use a second transformer connected secondary to secondary (high voltage side) with both a fuse and "light bulb" current limiter. A tungsten bulb in series with the primary would act as a current dependent resistor. then you would be measuring the resultant 240 VAC developed.
240:2400 and 2400:240 and a battery powered meter and no hands.

High voltage and sharp points do not get along, The HV arcs to and from sharp edges.

A GFCI protected outlet MIGHT help.

I managed to check the transformer , the primary side got two connections , the secondary got 3 wires , the middle one is connected to the magnetron .
So when i power up the transformer with 220 VAC , i measure the voltage between the middle one with each one of the two secondary wires , i get about 140 VAC .

Jesus!! - are you serious?.

You've already done one utterly stupid and suicidal thing, and you're carrying on doing the same stupid things.

Please - DON'T have anything to do with microwave ovens, you're not safe to be near one.

You've also quite possibly killed your new meter?, unless you were lucky enough to accidentally connect it wrongly

but how can measurement be performed on that side ? (am not gonna try that just for knowledge)

You don't, there's no need to - a microwave oven is a VERY, VERY simple device - you just need a meter that will read about 5000V DC, which is negative with regard to chassis.

I actually use an old Avo meter which has a 3000V DC range, which reads off scale initially, but drops back to just below 3000V as the mag fires up.

But again, if you have to ask - DON'T TOUCH ONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back