Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'ping' sounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingwell

Hi,

Anyone know of a source (UK) of a sounder that makes a soft "ping" sound (eg like a plane seatbelt sound) rather than screaming at you like most of the available sounders do?

Thanks!

Hi,

Anyone know of a source (UK) of a sounder that makes a soft "ping" sound (eg like a plane seatbelt sound) rather than screaming at you like most of the available sounders do?

Thanks!

I bought a nice 'ding dong' fasten your seat belts sound for £1 at the local 'cheap shop'
It was part of a door bell unit, 4.5V

So there is another reason why RadioShack is gone from Canada.
Their stores had a photo-electric doorbell that screamed because it used loud square-waves. It scared people away.
Their excessive prices also scared people away.

I modified a RadioShack PIR people detector so its loud square-wave became a pleasant smoothly fading sine-wave.

Nice idea ericgibbs, I am after something a bit smaller though (the size of a piezo sounder or very small speaker). I know I could build something, but could use a few for various projects and am just being lazy!

A musical greeting card has a small piezo speaker. It squeaks, it is too small to "ping".

Nice idea ericgibbs, I am after something a bit smaller though (the size of a piezo sounder or very small speaker). I know I could build something, but could use a few for various projects and am just being lazy!

By making the statement in bold above, (Your own words) not just to the general board, but also to a time-served EE and very successful businessman, do you not think you are taking the p, i, double s?

Instead of procrastinating, if you know you can build it, get off your donkey & do it!

Last edited:
Well, everyone has the right to buy instead of building. You do all the time...as most of us around here.

In my case I avoid making my own PCBs. I prefer to dedicate mi efforts to other things still within the realm of the hobby. Why not?

By making the statement in bold above, (Your own words) not just to the general board, but also to a time-served EE and very successful businessman, do you not think you are taking the p, i, double s?

Instead of procrastinating, if you know you can build it, get off your donkey & do it!

I take it then Mickster that you have never used an off-the -shelf power supply, because you know as a time-served EE you could always build one. Or bought a radio, because you could always build one of those too. Or for that matter bought a potato because you could always grow one.

The point, and as a "very successful businessman" (your own words) I'm surprised you don't get this, is time. The first project I have in mind is a lights-on reminder in my car. I'm not doing it because I'm going to enjoy doing it, I'm doing it because I keep leaving the headlights on. I would rather place an order for an off-the-shelf part in a few minutes than design and debug a circuit, make and build a PCB, put it in a box etc etc.

I'd be interested in that as well. Been looking for 20 years (in the UK) Never found one yet! Always had to build something, so far.....

You could of course go for a higher spec car, that already has the feature inbuilt! :)

You could of course go for a higher spec car, that already has the feature inbuilt! :)

Ha ha the irony is that I have deliberately gone for a simple and relatively primative low-spec car (Landrover) so that I can do maintenance myself!

Fair points Agustin & shingwell.

For the record though shingwell, I'm not the time served EE & successful businessman I referred to, Mr Eric Gibbs is and offered a possible solution from a pound shop, only to be met with "I know I could build something, but could use a few for various projects and am just being lazy!"

There are many posts made to this and other forums, where the OP:
Provides scant information in relation to the project as a whole, which then has to be teased out in further posts, in order to offer a viable solution....
Makes posts looking for components which are already easily found by doing a Google search..... or
Expects others to do their research and sit back and do nothing - "lazy" ;-)

Now we know a little more about what you actually intend to build, links to inexpensive solutions can be offered, which could also be modified to suit other future projects.

I did a quick search for your required application and picked out the following from many hits:

**broken link removed** (The sounder pitch can be adjusted for different projects)

http://www.hobby-circuits.com/circuits/automotive/automotive-light/693/simple-headlight-reminders (This one has two versions. Continuous or burst)

And a third from these forums:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/headlight-on-warning-buzzer.115498/ (Uses a 12V buzzer + diode if req'd)

Regards.

EDIT:
If a piezo buzzer is too loud, you can always modify the aperture or wrap it in foam to quieten it somewhat.

Last edited:
With respect, Mickster, those are the very devices Shinwell (and I!) are trying to avoid. As your examples show, there are hundreds of 'buzzer' type sounders, which, as you say, you can vary the volume with a variety of simple techniques.

What does not seem to be available -on it's own - is a device that uses a decaying sine wave to produce a pleasant, gently decaying, sound.

Nearest is the two tone digital doorbell devices already mentioned. (Although it's not easy to find one of them that just goes 'ding' and not 'ding dong' !)

Not a big enough market for a stand alone device, I suspect.....

Exactly rogs. A device that would replace the buzzers in those circuits, but more pleasant sounding!

The buzzer type devices all seem to be designed to be used as an alarm, whereas I just need a gentle reminder!

I've made many pingers over the years that were based on a circuit (discovered by accident), comprised of single-tone Sonalerts, electrolytic capacitors, and pulsing circuits. The Sonalert is paralleled with an electrolytic capacitor. The combination is given a short pulse with a supply voltage. The result is a pleasant, decaying bell-tone. If the pulse is repetitive, you get the ding-ding-ding sound like the key- or headlight-alarm in cars. For pulse sources, I've used LM555s and CD4093s in astable and monostable configurations, usually driving a transistor/MOSFET to pulse the Sonalert/capacitor pair. Variations in the annunciator, supply voltage, and capacitor size alter the ping.

An example for a repeat-pinger is attached.

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back