Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit 3 Error message PK3Err0045

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

Hi,

I've recieved clone PK3 two weeks ago, connected the board to the programmer and insert 16F628A into the 18-pin Holder and try to access it using mplab IDE and got the following error message.

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Running self test...
Self test completed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.71
Firmware type......................Midrange
PICkit 3 Connected.
PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit3.

Tried to figure the problem but no chance. Can you please guide me on how to resolve this problem.

Thanks

hi aljamri,
Do you have PIC in the PK3 that you are trying to program.??

Ok, i think i may know what your problem is, basically the error is telling you that nothing is connected to the PK3. This is narmally due to there being no power on the TARGET PIC.

If you are powering the Target PIC then the PK3 may not be able to see this.

There is a checkbox in the PK3 software to allow you to power the target PIC from the PK3

SELECT;
Programer/Settings

Then will display a screen
Selection the Power Tab and enable the power target circuit from pickkit.
Set your required voltage. in your case 5.0v

Hope this helps

Sorry I've just update my Windows and I'm not able to see your answers. I'll try to resolve this problem and get your answers. thanks

I'll start from the begining, I bought from ebay this clone PK3 along with the universal zif board:

**broken link removed**

I'm connecting the board and PK3 using 6-wire plug, and using the 18-pin ZIF to connect my PIC16F628A with the correct orientation.
the above mentioned message is the output.

Ok, i think i may know what your problem is, basically the error is telling you that nothing is connected to the PK3. This is narmally due to there being no power on the TARGET PIC.

If you are powering the Target PIC then the PK3 may not be able to see this.

There is a checkbox in the PK3 software to allow you to power the target PIC from the PK3

SELECT;
Programer/Settings

Then will display a screen
Selection the Power Tab and enable the power target circuit from pickkit.
Set your required voltage. in your case 5.0v

Hope this helps

That's nice tip,
How I'll decide to use or not ? my PIC is not in the circuit, shall I select to power it from the PICkit3?

Hi aljamri. I have had exactly the same issue. I also bought from ebay, sure elctronics, same part no. Then just like you, when trying to program for the first time, I was greeted with the same error message, just like you. Cold chills of the item being damaged ran through body. It was a frightening experience, especially after having to wait long for item delivery, and first time ebuying. Seems like every first-time user passes through this. :) . A little research, quickly showed that the issue was that the PIC wasn't powered. The PK3 doesn't automatically power-up your circuit, so you need to do what cobra1 suggested. I did that, and it worked. PK3 is working fine till now.

one step ahead, I turned on the power and it detects the PICkit 3, and the following extra line pops up:
Device ID Revision = 00000008

but when try to read/write/verify or Programming, the following message generated:

Programming...
Programming failed
The overcurrent logic has detected a fault condition on
either VPP or VDD. Please disconnect your circuit check
MCLR or VDD for a short circuit and then reconnect. Also,
ensure that your target current requirements do not exceed
the specified limits.

Last edited:
have you got an isolation diode on MCLR? if not you will be putting about 12v onto VDD when MCLR goes to program mode

Hi,

I buyed PICKIT 3 and connected in MPLAB and its showing below error...

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Running self test...
Self test completed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.71
Firmware type......................Midrange
PICkit 3 Connected.
PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit3.

What is the solution to overcome this error...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back