Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Picaxe vs Arduino which is better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get into the world of micro controllers which do you prefer in terms of cost,performance etc?

You first need to understand what you're comparing - because they are totally different things.

The Arduino isn't a 'micro-controller' it's a complete development system on a PCB, based on an AVR micro-controller.

The PICAXE is (sort of) a micro-controller, but it's a pre-programmed one - pre-programmed with a BASIC interpreter, so it's a single chip which can have files loaded to it that it then interprets. This means it's relatively slow, but it is incredibly cheap, and it excellent for school children to use - which appears to be it's target market.

For simple tasks where speed is not an issue, the picaxe will win hands down, as its simple to program, comes in a range of chips from 8 pin (14,18,20,28) to 40 pin and the built in interpreter has many functions you just call in program without the need to understand lines and lines of tricky coding.
Excellent chip to get your feet wet in the world of using micro controllers.

Arduino is a faster chip for more serious and compicated projects, where speed and memory space are needed more, but the cost is greater and the programming language is harder if you have no background in programming.

My advice would be to start with the picaxe and when you out grow their ability, and they can no longer fill your needs of programming ability than move up to the Arduino.
If you have never used micros yet, than it will take you a few years to out grow the picaxe, as they are getting faster all the time with larger memory space, for example the 20x2 chip can be run up to 64 meg which is well fast enough for most applications.

Pete.

When you ask people what is best they often tell you what they use is best. And it is for them.

What is better for you depends on you.

Do you know how to program in BASIC, C or any programing languages. Any other background that might help us understand where you are at. Electronics experience ?

Last edited:
I know a bit of both languages basic and C and have basic electronic experience.Which would be better for me to start.

Take three identical pics one with the basic stamp, one Arduino programed and one programed with assembly how much more program space is there on average ?

I would say that Arduino is far more advanced than picaxe... You can do an awful lot more with the little mega.. But there are other platforms... As embedded goes more and more into 32 bit.. If you go down the c, c++, c# route there are netduino, FEZ, pic32 etc...

Arduino is a faster chip for more serious and compicated projects, where speed and memory space are needed more, but the cost is greater and the programming language is harder if you have no background in programming.

This is only further confusing people, the Arduino isn't a chip - it's an entire development system and board, based on an AVR chip.

If you buy a simple Picaxe chip like the 08M and if you don't like the system or anything else about it, you're out about $5 or less. If you buy an Arduino and don't like it, you're out about $30, like me.

I use a µC about once every 6 months or so. Everytime I'd pick up the Arduino I'd have to relearn its pseudo C language. A real PITA because it takes a long time. Picaxe Basic is a snap in comparison.

FWIW- If I can find my Arduino, you can have it for $20 plus shipping.

Picaxe has just released its new range of M2 chips that has taken the picaxe to a far greater level, with some excellent features, for example, the 08m2 now can run upto 32mhz, 1048 bytes of memory, 28 variables, i2c, touch, +++++ more.
This makes them a rather powerfull little 8 pin package, compared to the older chips.
There is also the 14m2, and the 20m2 released as well.

The best part is the price has remained the same.

Pete.

I know a bit of both languages basic and C and have basic electronic experience.Which would be better for me to start.

Take three identical pics one with the basic stamp, one Arduino programed and one programed with assembly how much more program space is there on average ?

The arduino system uses AVR processors rather then PICs.

The PICAXE uses a BASIC interperter which slows execution and limits memory. The interpreter is stored in flash and the user program in EEPROM. Perhaps in the newer PICs they are using flash for the user program too. Either way there is a reduction in speed and memory. The upside is that with interperters you do not need a programmer or a compiler. We do not have many PICAXE users. But we do have people who have moved from PICAXE to PBP (Pic Basic Pro). This allows you to write BASIC code for PIC chips which are much less expensive the PACAXE.

The arduino is C with training wheels. It uses a superset of C and programming is done with a boot loader. A boot loader is a small memory resident program that loads the code you write. There is a large body of code and add on boards called shields. The down side is that arduinos are about $30 each and you can not do ICD (In Circuit Debuggin). The up side is the huge popularity of the system. We have an Arduino forum here. Given that it is C based many of the questions that pop up are really C questions.

This is my favorite
To program PICs directly you need a programmer. These day the most popular choices are from microchip direct. The PICkit2 for $35 and the PICkit3 for $44. The beauty of this is that once you have the programmer you can use inexpensive PIC processors starting at about $1. Ones with more memory and pins can be had for about $3 to $5. And we have loads of people on ETO who can help.

The PIC is truely a computer on a chip. All you need to make it go is a .1uf bypass capacitor and power. This makes it very easy to use on a solderless breadboard or on a hand wired board. This is the only option the lets you choose from 100's of microcontrollers offered by microchip.

The down side is that you need to install MPLAB the development enviorment and a compiler. The good news is both are free from microchp.

I have a tutorial that may interest you. It is based on MPLAB and can be used with the PICkit or Junebug (PICkit2 clone). The tutorial takes you so far a lighting a single LED w
ith the PIC.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/07/JunebugTut1C3.pdf can be found on my site **broken link removed**

The choice of PICAXE, arduino, and PICs is ultimatly up to you. Have fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back