Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC18F27j53

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixto91

Hello,

I´m looking for a USB programmer for PIC18F27J53.

I´ve been seeing many of them, but they are too expensive.

Cold you help me please?

Sixto.

That chip is quiet new and only supported by the usb Pickit3 as Ian says.

Doubt any older non usb programmers will be able to program that chip.

Your only cheaper alternative is a far east Pickit3 clone.

Look here
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/pickit-3-for-18-new.142449/

Not a bad price, but I don't know anyone who has tried one..

Yup, I bought one from there following that thread.

It works fine programming from Mplab8.92, Pk3 standalone, Mplabx /Ipe and no problems in downloading the new firmware.

Have not yet tried it in Debugging mode and haven't opened it up as nothing to directly compare it against, as long as it programs it meets my needs.:)

( it actually has what appears to be Microchips logo on the case, unable to detect any difference from pictures of the Pk3 on Microchips site; could just be a copied logo, or do wonder if its off the same production line ??)

Last edited:
Even if I had not just bought the clone Pk3 , don't think I would ever trade in my trusty Pk2, just works so well.

Thank you vey much,
I´m trying to load the bootloader on my PIC, That´s the reason why I was looking for the cheapest one, because I only want to program the bootloader by ICSP and later program my PIC by USB.
Have you got any idea about how to do this with the PIC18F27J53 or similar?
I have never done this..

Thank you very much for all your aid ;)

I have no bootloader experience , but you still have a chicken - egg situation even just once .. more if you need to duplicate / upgrade the device .

PK3 ...

Thank you vey much,
I´m trying to load the bootloader on my PIC, That´s the reason why I was looking for the cheapest one, because I only want to program the bootloader by ICSP and later program my PIC by USB.
Have you got any idea about how to do this with the PIC18F27J53 or similar?
I have never done this..

Thank you very much for all your aid ;)

You have never said what you development toolchain was but if is MPAB or some other that works with the pk3 you can do ICD (In Circuit Debug).
Boot loaders are are great for updating firmware but not so much for program development.
Most people find that once they use ICD it is the only method they care to use.

Hello, Thank you!! I have got a PICKIT 3

Now I´m using MPLABX but when I´m trying to program a .HEX file it fail.
It appears:
Address: 0 Expected Value: 17 Received Value: f

Do you know what is it? I have been looking for the solution on internet but nothing appears about this problem.

Help me please.

Thank you very much, you are a great help

Things to check!!

Is the device is correct? ( you still need to select the correct device so the the correct AP can be loaded ).
Have you power to the device? ( pickit3 has t be configured ).
Does pickit3 support the device???

Do a snapshot of the programming output for me..

Hello, I have cheked all the connections.
Yes, PICKIT 3 support PIC18F27J53
I supply my circuit from the PICKIT 3 VDD (It´s set up a voltage level of 3.5V)

rjl4lt.png

e71d06.png

Thank you very much!

Try external 3.3v had this with PIC24 , but also target device should be recognized by PK3 , check connections ( picture of set up may help ) .also try clicking the refresh debug tool status on the dashboard side bar. may load FW and AP .

edit , there is also a memorys to program setting in the PK3 config......

Last edited:
Look at the line in red

Target Device ID (0xe0 ) Does not match expected Device ID (0x5860)

Something here needs to be fixed.... Make sure your connections are good... As Granddad said " show your hook up to us"

I´ve already checked my connections and everything seems to be OK.
I show you here some photographs:
258bgbd.jpg

15ysn04.jpg

258bgbd.jpg

2q9lagk.png

Thanks

How long are your PK3 wires ? ( 1 and 3 pictures too dark ? ) . Also data sheet says Vusb pin 14 should not be left floating ... wire to Vdd

edit(3x !) ... Vcap 10uf pins 6- 7 - 8 or is it 6-8 ?

edit 4 ... you need .1 uf caps Vdd Vss as per datasheet page 31

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back