Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Thermostat. LCD or LED display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

Thermostat, Cricket my pet project.
It's been through more changes than any other project.
What sort of display (and how many digits) would you like to see in a thermostat?

2, 3 or 4 digits?

An LED display?
**broken link removed**

Or LCD display?
**broken link removed**
Or 2x16 LCD Character display?
**broken link removed**

Nigel Goodwin said:
From a programming point of view, and also with much increased functionality, the LCD text module is by far the best option.

I like the lcd too but it feels like overkill for a simple thermostat. I wish Hitachi would update those LCD controllers, they're so slow...

LED displays actually will throw the temperature readings off on the PCB.

I was reading the datasheet for the 16F917 LCD controller PIC, arrgh... Not an easy read (the LCD part) but you might learn something...

As much as I love LEDs I have to say the LCD can display much more info' at the same time (time, current temp', set point, zones, etc.) and provide intuitive prompts that would be difficult to do using LEDs.

Mike said:
As much as I love LEDs I have to say the LCD can display much more info' at the same time (time, current temp', set point, zones, etc.) and provide intuitive prompts that would be difficult to do using LEDs.

I agree. Also

Current temperature 73.4
Heat on/off at 74/76.0
Daily high temperature 89.0
Hours Heat for Month 139
Monthly est total $58
Heat on last 24 hour 24%

I'd like to keep it simple and inexpensive, ideally since the design will be RS485 or XBee it's designed more as a thermometer that communicates the temperature to a zone controller. Similar to the RCS TR-16**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back