Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Programmer through COM and ICSP (JDM ??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

test1

I need PIC Programmer throught COM Port or USB ( i have laptop w/o paralel ) and it has to support ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programing). Also it has to have not very complicated layout and to be supported by IC-PROG software.

Before a time i have used such a programmer - JDM Programmer, made by my friend , with External Power supply. It works well with 24cXX and as ICSP Programmer. I think there was some additional hardware to MCLR so it works ICSP. I don't bother about external power supply, but it HAS to be ICSP !

uJDM don't support ICSP. Original jdm site was too complicated to me - there are 2 additional hardware plates for ICSP and 24cXX programming. And one of them w/o layout.

May be it is very simple to remade a JDM programmer for this puprose, but I am not good with hardware. So I need a ready-to-use layout.

Somethink like this is good one ->
http://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=8428++KT
But it has no scheme/layout, and it is not written does it support ICSP or not. I think it is a JDM Programmer with FTDI USB-to-COM chip. I want to make programmer myself.

I think this one supports ICSP and EEPROMS ->
**broken link removed**
But it use no external power so may be it's not good for ICSP.

Here I find very good, small, ICSP and USB programmers->
http://www.kitsrus.com/upuc.html
But there are no PCB and layouts ... seems they only sell these programmers.

I saw this one too ->
**broken link removed**
but it is through LPT and ... why PCB is so BIG ?!?

Need advice of an expirienced techie.
Thanks in advance.

i would go for the USB one.. because i have read of people having a very tough time with serial programmers not having enough voltage on the MCLR pin to get the job done..

williB said:
... serial programmers not having enough voltage on the MCLR pin to get the job done..

Yes, and for this I am looking for a programmer with external power supply or USB. JDM with external power should be reliable too.

Amady, I already read your posts for RCD programmer. It don't use external power supply, so it is not reliable enough. May be it will work, but when you try ICSP, sometimes it will fail. It is because circuit can use some current on MCLR. And use of External Power is a MUST, or at least programmer have to use USB power supply, wich has more current then COM.

About this https://www.ubasics.com/adam/pic/icp84.html ... have u tested it ? And wich software that program use ? And can it program 24CXX ? I am not sure.

I think the best is JDM programmer with External Power Supply, but I have found no PCB and layout for it.

Hope some expirienced techie will answer here too.

Thanks anyway, Amady

Please, anyone, post a link with JDM Programmer PCB or layout or scheme with EXTERNAL POWER supply here. Or what have to be done on normal JDM Programmer so it will wirk with external power.

test1 said:
Please, anyone, post a link with JDM Programmer PCB or layout or scheme with EXTERNAL POWER supply here. Or what have to be done on normal JDM Programmer so it will wirk with external power.

If you look on the original JDM site I beleive he has improved versions with external power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back